Yinshi Huang Journal Week 4-7

2/27/2014   After a few days of research, I found some potential photographs to be used, but then I started thinking that I can shoot my own photographs since I have a DSL camera, and I took several photography classes. This might be a good chance to put my skills other to good use. I couldn’t find good picture for the US Open tennis court from stock photo websites. Also, the US Open is during summer so I cannot shoot pictures either. Then I remembered that I went to the US Open in 2012. I started searching for any US Open photographs from my computer, and finally I found photos. My supervisor introduced a photographer from the office, so I asked him for photos of LED and Queens Crossing mall. He gave me about 100 of photos. After I received the photos, I started organizing them. The first thing I had to design was the cover of the brochure. I made three different layouts for the cover and showed them to my supervisor. He picked the best ones and gave me feedback. After that, I edited photos and headlines to keep improving the design. After few times of editing he finally said okay to the cover. He is a professional designer who has more than 20 years of experiences, so it wasn’t easy to get an okay from him, but I felt that I learned a lot just from doing the cover design.

3/7/2014   After spending a significant amount of time on the research and the cover it is time to design second and third pages of the brochure. My supervisor recommended to me to make a spread design, so I took a while to make several layouts. This page will be about the location of Queen Crossing which is the LED located. I used Google map to take screenshots of the area near Queens Crossing, then I started making some sketches for the layout. Some places such as Mets, Tennis Center, and Botanical Garden won’t be interesting to audiences. I got this idea to put the map in the middle and have photos next to it to point out where their locations. I cropped out photos in the same size so they are organized. There were so many places that needed to be pointed out, but I only picked 6 of them. I put 3 photos on each side and used a bar to point them out from the map. For the rest of the places, I typed out their names and put them on the bottom of the page. I showed my supervisor; and made more changes. At the end he approved it and I could move on.

3/11/2014  After I finished my first spread page of the brochure, I started work on the next spread page of the brochure. This page will be about who is in charge of running this LED display. Also, I have to introduce about the Queens Crossing mall, where the LED placed. The company owns this LED called F&T group and it located 12th floor of Queens Crossing building, it also owns Queens Crossing building. I work for a company called Marching Technology and Marching is part of the F&T group. Marching majorly focus on the graphic designs and advertisements designs. Inside of Queens Crossing mall, there are lots of retail stores and restaurants. Also, different type of companies such as law office and medical office are located on different floors. I had to include all these information in this spread page of the brochure. The reason of including this information is let the advertisers know the surrounding environment of the LED. I went back to the photographer and asked for more pictures of Queens Crossing. Also, I was walking around and took some pictures by myself. So, this whole day I spent for doing research. After I came back home, I started to organize photos and choose best ones for work with the brochure.

3/18/2014  Today was a fun day for me; I went the NY Miss Chinese conference with my supervisor. Queens Crossing was one of the sponsors, so we could attend this conference. I brought my camera because I had to shoot photos for my supervisor. This was my first time to experience this type of conference. When we got there, I took out my camera and ready for shooting. There were a lot of people from entertainment companies. Also, champion of the NY Miss Chinese from 2013 were there too. She was so pretty and I was taking a lot of picture for her. Not only the champion, the girls got second place and other awards came too. They also prepared lunch for people; I got some sushi and waited for the conference to start. I was walking around and saw a huge crystal ball sculpture. When I got closer, I figured out that it was made by ice. There was also another sculpture for this event which has NY Miss Chinese logo on it. I got so excited and shoot a lot of photos. Then my supervisor told me the conference is about to start, so we went to seats for sponsors and waited for it to start. The conference started, and the president of NY Miss Chinese organization gave a speech. After her speech, other presidents from the sponsor companies gave speech. Over all it was a fun working day for me.

Posted in Uncategorized.

0 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

You must be logged in to post a comment.