Journal #6

This week I created another email image for Ressler Importers. I’ve been working fewer and fewer hours with them since we launched the site. But that’s okay since I’ve been working so much with SMI. We made a plan to try to finish up the site in early November. I’m not sure that the mobile version will be available by November 8th, but the desktop site will definitely be done by then.

I’ve been having a hard time with Standard. I’m used to working with an entire team, and this is really my first big project on my own. It’s been a big learning experience. I almost wish I had had Professor Davis’ Design Team Class before I took on the job. If I had had the organizational and business skills before taking on this position, I think it would have been much easier – for them and for me. But I have learned a lot, and hope to finish the job soon.

We spoke about how the U.S. is lacking in writing and math skills – lacking more so than other countries. I think the problem with the U.S. is with elementary/junior high/high schools. Other countries have a much better school system than the United States. And I feel like once someone gets into the University system – it’s too late. If someone doesn’t know the basics of writing, I don’t know that a one semester writing class is going to improve this. The same goes for Biology, Math, etc. Yes – the U.S. needs more scientists, and more mathematicians, but most scientists don’t just discover a new love or fascination with Biology as a freshman in college. No, I believe more kids need exposure to science/math/writing as children…and they need these courses to be creative, not just answering questions in a book. But the U.S. needs their guidelines, and because of this – they have mandatory courses that students unfortunately have to take, mandatory testing they have to do and pass each year, and mandatory books they have to purchase. All of this is why the U.S. is behind in these subjects.

Posted in Uncategorized.

0 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

You must be logged in to post a comment.