Screen shot of the Webinar I attended:

On Saturday, November 5th, I attended a webinar virtually on VYOND that discussed storyboarding for video and film. It was a post-recorded webinar that was hosted by a woman named, Prakriti Rai, who is a video producer on “Vyond” website. This webinar was very inciteful because I learned some techniques on how to storyboard effectively for animation but found out where storyboarding originated. Storyboarding came about around the 1930s by Webb Smith, a Disney animator who worked at Walt Disney Studios. I had a feeling that storyboarding all started during the Walt Disney days. However, I thought storyboarding was around the early 1920s due to the silent short films Disney created. The first short film Walt Disney created was “Alice’s Wonderland” which premiered back on October 16th, 1923.

So, I had thought they may have made storyboards for that and other short films that aired before the 1930s. The first proper storyboards created was the short, “Three Little Pigs”. Now, I’m not sure what they meant by “proper”. Did they mean that the storyboards for shorts previously “Three Little Pigs” were out of place? Who knows. Storyboarding also expanded to other industries such as live action, video games and etc. Overall, the webinar has opened my eyes on how to improve my storytelling abilities via illustration and go back and fix up my previous storyboards from my portfolio.