Manuel Margarito My favorite building in New York

New York has some of the best architecture in the world. There are Skyscrapers that cover the city from left to right. even the smaller buildings between those giants add something special to the feel of the big city. A building that comes to mind to most when you say New York happens to be my favorite building in the city. That building is the Empire state building.

Lets go back a couple of years and see what the building has gone through over the years. The Empire State Building was the tallest building in the world between 1931 and 1972.  No other building has held the record for such a long period of time since the Strasbourg Cathedral lost the title of “World’s Tallest Building” in 1874. This next fact is actually one that surprised me at first. The top of the Empire State Building was originally designed for mooring zeppelins (airships).One of my favorite parts of the Empire State building happens to be the flood lights at the top of the building. The color of those lights change due to the current events. For example when a New York team plays in a important game the colors change to that of the teams colors. When the New York Giants play the building will be lit in blue and red. The Empire State Building has its own zip code to accommodate its 1,000 businesses and 21,000 employees. The Empire State Building Run-up is an annual race up 1,576 steps to the 86th floor of the building.  The world record time for the race is held by Australian Paul Crake at 9 minutes and 33 seconds.

Here are the construction statistics:

• 3,400 workers
  • 410 days of construction
  • 6,500 windows
  • 73 elevators
  • 2,768,591 square feet (257,211 m2) of floor space
  •