journal

reflection community

My time spent at clavicles helped to expand my understanding of the nurse’s role.  Even though we are told in school that a nurse wears many hats, it’s hard to appreciate this until you experience tit first hand.  This was my first exposure to people who were not patients but members of a community that needed a nurse’s expertise none the less. And in order to help people in this type of situation you must first listen to what they have to say.  Even though sometime people can go on and on about nothing sometimes they are revealing unaddressed problems that they may not be aware is a problem.  Such as HTN, poor blood sugar control and so forth.A good nurse will listen and identify potential problems through assessments.  A nurse can then provide education and referrals to have health problem evaluated.  By experiencing this even though brief I feel as my ability to interact in a community as nurse has greatly improved. By interacting with the seniors and giving education on HTN and helping serve meals I feel like I have had a taste of what it means to be a community nurse.