I started my visual quote project with a few sketches of what I wanted my visual quote to look like. The quote I was using for my project was “time is money”. The images below are a few of my sketches.

For all these sketch designs I was going for a typographic design. As you can see one of these design just have the letters that spell out the quote “time is money” but it isn’t in one straight line the words are either rotated, going sideways, or just being tilted a bit the reason I decided to do this was so the person can explore the design and figure out what’s it trying to say. For the other sketch, I went with the idea of using objects like clocks and money and use those to spell out “time is money” in the middle of the design, I had a curve of clocks surrounding money making it seem like a tube and giving of a meaning that within the time there’s is money. Eventually, I went with the first sketch and after moving the sketch from pencil to digital I realized that there were a few things wrong with my design. One of the issues was that there was too much going on in the design with clocks floating around and money being all over the design it would have been too much and probably be confusing to the person who is looking at it. So I got rid of the curve that had the money inside of it and removed all the floating money and clocks from the design and only kept the words that were being spelled out with the clock and money. After doing all of that the design looked cleaner and more organized and below you can see what the design looked like.

Though this design looked more “professional” my professor gave me advice and pointed out another issue with the design and which was the design didn’t really feel like it was giving a message even though you can read the text and understand why I decided to use the clock and money. The professor thought there could be another way I can represent the quote “time is money”. I went back to drawing a sketch of what I wanted my new design to look like and I decided instead of just writing the quote in the design using these objects why not just use the objects to show off the quote in my design. I started thinking of how I can make my design give off the meaning of “time is money” and then I decided what I was going to use in my design the things I was going to use were an alarm clock, money, a bank, and a tube that I was going to make in Illustrator. Down below you can see my sketch of my new design.

I started making my new design in Illustrator and once I added everything to the design I thought it was missing something. The thing that was missing in my design was a background color since in my previous designs I didn’t use any background at all it was just white empty background. So I decided why not use a color background to give the design a bit more life so I choose I random color but then I realized that instead of using a random color why not use a color that can help represent my quote even more? I was thinking for a while and then I decided what colors I was going to use in my design and those were going to be yellow and purple. The reason why I choose these colors was because yellow is suppose to represent day and purple is night. Now when it came to where they were going to be position it did take a while to find the right spot. At first I did yellow on top and purple on the bottom that didn’t seem right so I change it to yellow on the left and purple on the right that didn’t work as well. So I had to think for a while and then it finally came to why not have the colors go diagonal and since the design was on a rectangle shape I went to corner to corner and made it purple on top and yellow on bottom. Now the reason why I thought this was going to work was because I wanted both colors to interact with the alarm clock and bank because I wanted it to give off the meaning of “time I’d money”. Since everyone works on different times some people work in the morning when it’s day time and so work at night when it’s night time. Everyone makes their money on their own time which is going to be the same for everyone which is why I decided to position these colors the way they are. Below you can see my final version of my visual quote.

First Version of final
Final Verison