Anna Nurse Memo By: Kelly Laurent

Date: December 10, 2013

To: Professor Akana

From: Kelly Laurent

Subject: Anna Nurse Workshop Memo

Chef James Peterson is a cookbook author, cook and teacher. He worked at two restaurants in France and wrote 17 cookbooks about sauces, soups, fish and shellfish, vegetables, wines, French cooking, etc. James Peterson made Poached Lobster with Beurre Blanc on a Puff Pastry Crust. The sauce on the lobster was supposed to be made from the female lobster’s roe but the seller only gave Chef Peterson male lobsters. I learned that you can make butter from lobster shells and that you can identify a female lobster from a male lobster by the top of their abdomen; by the swimmerets. The female lobsters have soft swimmerets; the male lobsters have hard swimmerets. I also learned that you only need to boil lobsters for four minutes any more is overcooking it and female lobster’s roe turns from green to red when boiled. I usually don’t like eating lobster or any seafood from restaurants because it is either too rubbery, has no taste, or tastes burnt; but the lobster tasted fresh and it was good with or without the sauce. The puff pastry was burnt so I didn’t get to experience the complete flavor of the meal he prepared for us.