Where I’m From We Eat By: Martin Benitez inspired By: Willie Perdomo

Because people tell me that i am a good friend and that they’re happy to have met someone like me. and they’ve always wondered where I was from.

If I told you that I was from Puebla, where the definition of the “World” means family and getting together with all of your aunts and uncles, cousins and nephews and all the ones you love. Having tamales for birthdays, baptisms and holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, would you have an idea of where I’m from? Where I’m from we eat tamales de dulce. Tamales de dulce is a Mexican pastry made with dry corn husks, corn flour, red food coloring, sugar, ground cinnamon and sun maid raisins or any other raisin brands of your choice. The raisins are optional, it doesn’t have to be included in the tamales if you do not want to. Sometimes when I wake up on a Sunday, I get a scent of the corn flour and cinnamon passing through my nose and it immediately brings a smile to my face because it defines that my mom is making tamales de dulce, my favorite of all tamales. When I come to the kitchen I see my mom mixing the red food coloring with the corn flour along with the cinnamon in a pot. When you take a bite of the tamale you have a combination of the cinnamon and the sweetness from the sugar. No one can top my mamma’s tamales de dulce. Now do you know where I’m from?

Tamale de dulce