Jeffrey Shor

Hi All,

My name is Jeffrey Shor. My pronouns are he/him. I am from Brooklyn, NY, and still residing here in Sheepshead Bay. I am a Hospitality Management major and I see myself working in management within a casino/resort setting in the future.

Here is a photo of my son Momo, who is the love of my life.

My favorite film is The Edge of Seventeen, directed by David Moreton, released in 1998. This is a coming-of-age film that tells the story of a music-obsessed teen that comes to terms with his sexual identity. I just feel that this is such a powerful film that can help struggling teens on their journey of finding themselves.

I love to travel and explore new places. I am the type of person to just get in the car and drive and see what happens. Pre-pandemic, I was working at a hotel in the city and had very limited personal time. With the closure of my hotel and being unemployed for the past year, I have had more free time than I know what to do with. That’s the reason my leased car is now over mileage. (oops)

1. Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Jeffrey!
    Welcome, and thanks for sharing this terrific bio and film. I definitely want to check it out– I am familiar with the Stevie Nicks song of the same name (I guess I’m dating myself here) but not this film. I teach in the Gender & Sexuality Studies minor at City Tech and am always looking for great new material to incorporate, so thank you!

What kind of work were you doing at the hotel, pre-pandemic? I am fascinated by hotels both as places of beauty and as social experiments…it is interesting to think about the history of lodging, as well as a single space housing many different kinds of people, changing clientele night after night. I just met a woman who works at the Carlyle and knew so many curious back stories, though employees are sworn to secrecy.

Looking forward to working with you! πŸ™‚

• Jeffrey Shor

The film would be fantastic to incorporate into the program as it shows the ups and the downs of the self-realization and coming out process.

I was a Guest Service Agent working the front desk at The Empire Hotel right by Lincoln Center. Working in hotels is definitely a rewarding career and is definitely interesting. You never know what you are walking in to, as every day brings new surprises and people.

2. Tamara Ivana

Jeffrey, I can see in Momo’s eyes that he KNOWS he’s the love of your life hahaha. He’s precious. I thought you were referring to The Edge of Seventeen (2016) when I first read your post, but I found the one you recommended on Netflix and will be watching it tonight. Thanks for sharing and keep pushing those miles past their limit for the ones who are scared to do so. (me)

• Jeffrey Shor

Hi Tamara!
      I hope you were able to watch the film, I feel that it is truly relatable and has the power to change lives. And the added humor in it doesn’t hurt either!

3. Ashley James

Hi Jeffrey,

I definitely will be checking out this movie and I’m happy you were able to travel and explore more! A coast to coast road trip is on my bucket list even though car rides makes me sleepy! lol

• Jeffrey Shor

Hi Ashley!

I have always dreamed of a coast-to-coast road trip, one of the big things on my list one day is to drive all the way west and into Las Vegas and down the magical strip. I have driven down the California coast and it was truly one of the best things I have done to this day.

I hope you had a chance to watch the movie!