Information about exams – Practice Exam on Tuesday 4/21/20

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on making it through the first month of distance learning! I know everyone is concerned about how exams are going to be handled. We have created a process for taking exams at home that (hopefully) balances flexibility with security. Our class will be testing out the process this week by taking a Practice Exam on Tuesday 4/21 (this is required, but *not graded* – there will be no mathematics on the Practice Exam). This will give everyone a chance to try things out, and deal with any practical challenges around the technology. If all goes well, we will take our Exam #2 using the same process.

How will we take exams online?

Each exam will be announced on the OpenLab. You will complete the following two steps:

1. After the exam is announced, go to WeBWorK and complete the exam there.
    • The exam will look like a regular WeBWorK homework assignment, with some minor differences.
    • You will have 2 hours to complete the exam, once you start work on it.
    • The exam will be available for 24 hours, and you can start working on it at any point during those 24 hours. However, once you begin working, you will only have 2 hours to complete the exam and submit your answers. The timer does not stop, even if you close your browser, so be sure to complete the exam within 2 hours of starting.
    • NOTE: You must complete all of the problems on paper, showing all of your work.
    • Submit your final answers in WeBWorK.
  2. Take photo(s) of your work on paper, convert to a single .pdf document, and upload it using a link I provide on the OpenLab.
    • The link I provide will be a Dropbox File Request link – you will *not* need any login or account information use it.
    • You will need to figure out how to combine multiple photos into a single .pdf document – the solution depends on the type of device. I suggest Googling something like “How do I combine multiple photos in a single pdf on iPhone?“. If you have trouble with this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW – send me an email, tell me the device you are using, and I will help you find a solution.

Your grade for the exam requires both your answers (submitted in WeBWorK) and your written work (uploaded). The majority of your grade will be based on your written work.

What do I need to do?

For now, nothing.

On Tuesday 4/21, I will post a Practice Exam – it will be announced on the OpenLab (the exam will be short and easy and will not include any math). You will complete the exam in WeBWorK and upload your work using the link I provide. If you have any trouble, please let me know!

Best regards – I hope you all are well and safe,

-Prof. Reitz

Print this page