OpenLab Assignment 6: What does this have to do with anything?

Most people go to college because they are trying to build a better future for themselves.  What job do you hope to get after college?  Imagine you have completed your college degree, and your education and experience have allowed you to obtain the job that you want.

With this job in mind, consider the following list of activities.  Which of them are you most likely to be asked to do as part of your new job?  Put them in order from most likely to least likely.  If you are uncertain, make your best guess based on your current knowledge and experience.

List of activities:

1. Solve a problem using integration, including: analyzing the problem, drawing a diagram, writing a definite integral and evaluating the integral.
  2. Learn to use a computer system that is unfamiliar to you, and then complete a task on that system.
  3. Brainstorm a variety of solutions to a problem.  Decide among several equally-good solutions.
  4. Use arithmetic (adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing).
  5. Find a derivative.
  6. Complete an assignment with a team of several people (find a time and place to meet, divide responsibilities, make sure everyone is completing their part, deliver the final product on time).

Assignment (due midnight, Tuesday, March 27):

Respond to the above activity by leaving a comment in response to this post.  Your comment should include all of the following:

1. What is your major?  What job are you hoping to get after graduation?
  2. From the list of activities above, give your ranking in order from “most likely to be required on your new job” to “least likely” (you can just list the numbers in order, you do not have to type the description, like this:  “My ranking is:  5, 2, 3, 4, 1, 6”).
  3. Discuss the first item or two on your list.  Do you think that this class will help prepare you to complete that task?  If so, how?  If not, what could be done in this class to help prepare you for that task?
  4. Discuss the last item or two on your list.  Do you think it is important to learn (even if you are not likely to use it at your job)?  Why or why not?

Extra Credit.  Comment on  someone else’s post.   Do you agree or disagree? Why?

97 Responses to OpenLab Assignment 6: What does this have to do with anything?

1. Dennis Trotter Jr. says:

My name is Dennis Trotter Jr., my major is Telecommunications Engineering. When I graduate, I want to use this degree plus my Electronic Engineering Technology degree, and my practical experience, to work for a company seeking to develop alternative energy sources for the world; especially solar, wind or hydro. We need to help clean up our atmosphere, by taking advantage of some of our nonpolluting natural resources. My numbers are 1, 3, 6, 2, 5, and 4.
    This class is going to help me because, I believe that there will be some sort of integration involved in finding solutions, if I get a job where we try to design better solar panels, or deep cycle batteries that hold deeper charges for longer periods of time. I hope to be working with other people just as interested in cleaning up our environment through cleaner energy sources.
    I believe the last two items on my list will be important also, because numbers will always be used in the developmental process of improving any technology, no matter if it’s taking a derivative or just adding or subtracting numbers.

• takther2009 says:

Wow. Im very impressed… I really like those people who choses major to improve the world, not just for money. I wish you all the best. Your ranking seems to make sense too.

2. debitcard says:

Hi, my name is Koonhoi Xie and my major is Business management/ Administration. When I graduate, I look to be employed in a large firm (try my luck at the big 4 haha). My numbers are 6, 3, 1, 2, 4, 5. The field of business is heavily math oriented, consisting of problem solving, arithmetic & theories. It also requires stellar intrapersonal skills and critical thinkers. This class helps better prepare me for this because we often participate in group activities, interact and think philosophically. While there are definitely some topics in calculus I don’t believe would benefit me in my field of studies, I think it is still significant to learn them and broaden my mind. As Clay P. Bedford once said, “You can teach a student a lesson a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.”

3. bbravo999 says:

my name is Bryan bravo, and my major is LAS( liberal arts and science), but will transfer to a different school and change my major to pre vet. I want to be a veterinarian, and help cure animals and learned from there unique experiences in life. The order I choose is 3, 4, 6, 2, 5, 1. I think this class will definitely help my first choice(3) because I Feel this class has enhance the way I think. I have learned to think of many possible ways to solve a problem, and how each one can be a good solution instead of thinking of use one possible good solution. Like using calculus( trigonometric substitution) to find the are of a circle instead of just using the area of a circle that was given to use in middle school. I think the last choice I choose is important to learn because it( choice 1) increase my mind and knowledge in math, and challenges what i have learn so far in my journey in math. Thus, having learning this may someday, if one day i need to find the area of a plum cake or a weird object. I may never know, it may even save my life.

• debitcard says:

Interesting…. Initially, I thought a veterinarian? I doubt that field requires calculus. Now, coming to think of it, I agree, Bryan, math can be applied to pretty much anything. While there may not be complex equations involved, a veterinarian requires the ability to perform abstract thinking and memorization (much like math).

• avald1046 says:

I agree this class will change your way problem solving, I think it changes a bit how you view because we understand how to take volumes of weird shapes. I’m still trying to figure out how the area of a plum cake might save your life LOL.

• danytrueman says:

I like your idea of finding the Area of weird object.I told one of my friend that it is possible to find the area of any object he disagree with me. And he ask me to find the area of the Mobius Card — An Impossible Shape!
      by Chris Henderson
      in February 2002 Games Magazine.
      take a look at it and tell me what would be your approch to solve it .

• Becky Jett says:

I would also love to be a vet but I’ve heard some horror stories that turned me down, even though I am a die hard pet lover. Vet is a medical field and all medical field do require good math and a lot of brainstorming to improve health. I agree!

4. kedeshia1111 says:

My name is Kedeshia Symister and my major is Liberal Arts & Science now but I am changing it to Radiology. I am hoping to work in the hospital with the radiologists to develop xray’s and become advanced multi-skilled competent practioners of quality patient care. My ranking is 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1. The first two items are important because i need to know the computer system to help me make a better xray image. The task is not difficult if you know what you are doing. On the job i might have to brainstorm ideas about how to make the image more brighter or darker so the radiologists can see it. This class will help me because to do calculus problems you need to brainstorm different solutions needed to solve a problem. The last two items on my list are important to learn even if im not likely to use my job. Maybe one day i will be a supervisor and need to collaborate with other people to make sure they complete their part.

5. My name is Adam Ibrahim and my major is computer science. After graduation, I’d like a job that utilizes some of the skills I’ll hopefully be picking up, such as an internet technician. I don’t want to stop there, but I want a job like it because it pays well and it’ll help me to stand up on my own two feet and help my family out financially while I pursue degrees of higher learning in other colleges. As far as this degree goes, from what I see and hear, it’s mostly vocational. I don’t expect to use math too much, though I hope to do something that’s very involved with math later. For that job, I expect the priority of use for the things I would gain from this class would be 3,2,6,4,5 and 1. I hope those last three take a much higher precedence later on.

• I am not sure, but it sounds like you want a job that’s going to make you a lot of money. You want to be an internet technician, which probably will not use much math. But later you want to move into a position where you use more math; maybe engineering? If that is the case, I think you should give math as much priority as possible now, and pursue your degree here just as you would pursue higher degrees in other institutions. Your degree from here is much more than just vocational, and is worth much more than you are giving it credit for.

6. avald1046 says:

Hi, my name is Anthony Valdez and my major is computer science. I hope to get an entry level programming job and expand my skills to obtain different jobs in my field. My ranking is 6,3,2,4,1,5. Computer programmers never work absolutely alone they require a team of software engineers to help them write exactly what it is the company wants. It is a team effort working back and forth making suggestions along the way. Computer programing requires a lot of brainstorming because there is always more than one way of accomplishing a task, but it ultimately comes down to the most efficient code that executes in the least amount of time and requires the least amount of data. Calculus definitely helps me prepare for these grueling tasks by developing my problem solving skills, math will also be involved in this job from day to day. The last two items on my list are still absolutely important because who knows if I might have to create some kind of code in a computer language that takes derivatives or draws some kind of diagram for you.

• Hi avald1046, This is Gurpreet Singh. I thought the last 2 items on your list are a bit more important because when we do program we use derivatives and integration somehow, I don’t know how but we do use them. I agree with everything else you said because we have the same major, computer science, but my ranking was a bit different. 4, 2, 5, 1, 3, 6

• KHonda says:

I agree with you on this Avald1046 brainstorming is really important and analyzing it in your head as to how you would write a code 🙂

7. igorekk132 says:

Hi, my name is Igor Myshchenko and my major is Telecommunications Engineering. When I obtain my degree, I will be looking forward into Optical and Inter-satellite communications systems profession. As a part of my engineering profession I believe that I will need to use all of the activities listed above without any exceptions. Nevertheless this is the pattern which I find most adequate from my own point of view – 6,3,2,1,5,4. In addition I believe that education in college is not only a reasonable solution in obtaining a desired profession. It is a training of mind using varieties of analytic reasoning. Therefore after finishing college ( hopefully with good grades) person will never be the same as he/she was before. In that sense I mean that they will be more aware of reality, will cope easier with everyday problems, have a big sense of self respect and pride of being able to follow their dreams through any kinds of obstacles, no matter how long it takes. I believe that college degree gives people an ability to look far into their future while making confident steps in that directions with minimal hesitation and the mind full of tools and hints that will guide their path. College makes my heart warmly giggle with excitement which points me to the answer that this is the place where I belong, and this is the place where I want and love to be.

8. ashafi says:

My name is Amara Shafi and my major is biology. I aspire to become a doctor. However I wish to have a job in the medical field but my ultimate goal is to become a family doctor. My ranking is 2,3,4,6,1,5. My first ranking was 2 and the reason for this is regardless of what occupation someone has technology will constantly be changing. By this I mean that I will have to learn new computer technologies that will run so many tests for patients. At times learning new software or computer system can be challenging. This class will surely prepare me for that since calculus in itself is very challenging and I feel that learning a new software or computer technology requires someone to be a quick learner. The last ranking, number 5 seems to not fit in with my whole occupation however I think figuring out derivatives helps you realize there are more than one solutions to a problem. This comes a long way for someone in the medical field dealing with patients with different types of diseases/infections and figuring out the best way to treat them.

• jishan007 says:

Wow ! it’s great. But u said u want to be a family doctor. if u become a family doctor, u don’t have to know a lot of computer programming staffs. my uncle is a doctor and he doesn’t use computer that much.

9. mmiltz says:

Melissa Miltz

My major is Industrial Design Technology. Upon graduating, I hope to work as a product developer and designer.

My rankings are: 3, 6, 4=5=1,2.

In reference to items 3 and 6: As a product developer, I may be part of a team that is tasked with finding solutions to shortcomings in existing products, brainstorming about new product ideas, or conceptualize a product that fills a specific need. After that, I will have to be able to work with the other designers and engineers in order to make sure our development goals are reached on time, and properly. Calculus II has no foreseeable correlation with these two aspects of this job position. These are not topics that could or should be explicitly discussed in a calculus class.

In reference to item number 2, there will probably programs related to drafting/modeling products/designs with which I may not have any previous experience. It is probably important for me to be at least familiar with these programs for the sake of diversity and knowledge in regards to my profession. Learning more would only enrich my overall knowledge and would probably sharpen my drafting/modeling capabilities that have already been honed using programs with which I have used for some time.

10. tonymei999 says:

Jiarong Mei,
    telecommunications engineering technology major.
    Hoping to get a tech support job/network administrator job/some form of programming job.

My list consists of 2, 3,6,4,5,1.

Well my field is mostly technical by nature, therefore my job requirements are mainly hands on. I will assume if I land any of the jobs I stated, I would be adapting to new system protocols, and troubleshooting by phone or in the field with a bunch of other technicians.

In the jobs I stated basic arithmetic is needed, anything else would just be ohms law, maybe a bit of fourier series. for the most part a computer would be on hand, be it in the office or otherwise a laptop in the field. I also doubt we have enough time to solve for integrals anyway in a competetive fast paced environment.

In my opinion classes in general do not prepare you enough for the jobs that we have today. The best it can do is provide a person with an understanding of “why we do things” and not just “how we do it.” In addition education in general is always going to be behind, unlike mathematics where theorems are consistent and very seldom change, classes in any technical field will be outdated by the time the students graduate. Also learning is great but sometimes we are not taught how the things we learn are applied. If the material is not understood or not applied properly learning is nothing more than regurgitation.

• Joshua Ruiz says:

Personally, I disagree. Although on the surface, it may appear to be useless information, it actually does something for us we don’t realize. Take for example, integration. For my job field (Computer Engineering), I severely doubt that I will be using it. However, in a subtopic, dealing with washers and shells I gained a new ability. It is much easier for me to imagine and think in an abstract manner as opposed to the limited mental images I could imagine before. Subtopics of a general subject can really allow you to perform tasks you couldn’t before and think in different ways, even if you don’t need the exact information itself.
      I do however agree that we should be learning how things apply, with real life examples. Otherwise it won’t be understood, and we wouldn’t have actually “learned” as much as we memorized.

• rbaron says:

i disagree with you my friend tony mei because what if you have to find the length or area of a fiber optic cable? you need to use integration by using the washer or shell method to find the cross sections or radius of that wire..

11. jishan007 says:

I am Jishan Biswas and my major is Electrical Engineering Technology. I am wondering if engineering truly is a good choice. At first I wanted to practice medicine and to become a medical doctor/dentist. The eight years of schooling pushed me away and this is why I went into engineering (which I am actually happy with). After having my bachelor degree, i want to work as a circuit designer.
    My ranking is 6,5,4,2,3,1.
    I think completing an assignment with a group of people is very helpful. Because, we are not 100% perfect individually. If alone, a student might postpone studying until the night before class. When in a study group, however, students have to be present at a specific time, and they are not able to procrastinate. we also get different perspective from the different members from the group. the whole problem has become easier to solve. I think same thing is applicable in the job field also. Working in a team is great for motivation and ideas also moral in the work place growth and job satisfaction, building relationship

12. My major was Mechanical Engineering but to start my bachelor’s degree, i changed it to Industrial Design to work more with designing products. The job i hope to achieve is to design cars or their parts.
    My list of activities in order are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1
    Number 2 is on top because I must use different computer programs to draw out design and make 3d models of a part. I wouldn’t think that Calculus 2 would require me to use computer programming to solve how to design a part.
    Number 1 is at the bottom of my rankings because I haven’t used integration yet until I reached Calc 2 so I’m unsure if i would use it to design something. I still believe it is important to learn because it is something new to learn in a math course that somehow can be used in a real life situation.

13. Tony Aguirre says:

What is my major? Electrical Engineering Technology.

What job am I hoping to get after graduation? R&D: remote sensing sensor development.

My ranking is: 3, 6, 1, 5, 2, 4

Discussing the first two items of my list: Yes, this class help to prepare for these work related matters. This class calls for us, at various times, to collaborate with one another inorder to verify or help eachother find an answer. Also, it is quite common to have found, at least seemingly, multiple ways to solve a problem. Therefore, this class calls for us to descriminate between multiple methods for solving the same problem.

Discussing the last two items of my list: Everyone needs multiplication/division and addition/subtraction…everyone from CEO’s, the homeless, and 3rd graders. As for working with unfamiliar computer systems, yes it is important, or at least useful to know, unfamiliar cpu systems because it’s another tool in your tool box and more importantly makes you more valuable as an employee.

14. theozeng says:

My name is Theo Zeng.

1. My major is Telecommunications Engineering Technology. I’m hoping to land in a networking job or any that is related to some form of communication. It will be mostly technical and hands-on because that’s what I want to do.
    2. My ranking is: 4, 3, 2, 6, 1, 5.
    3. Obviously a lot of jobs require you to have some basic form of math such as algebra. Calculus is probably needed if you are doing some type of research and that’s not what I’m looking to do. If my job requires me to do that then this class can be helpful in teaching me how to look at a problem from outside the box.
    4. While most of the classes in my major requires you to know how to derive and integrate, I don’t think it is needed if I’m going to work in networking or help install a network. It is important to learn it because you never know when you might need to do that.

15. shamonie22 says:

My name is Tollisha Thompson, and my major is Telecommunication Engineering. When i graduate. I hope to work as a technician repairing satellites, cell towers, etc. I like working with my hands so anything like that would do. My rankings are 4, 2, 6, 3, 1,5. Number 4 is the most important because it is the basics of mathematics and we will use it everyday. Although I placed 1 and 5 last, it doesn’t mean that I wont use them. Math is the most important aspect of engineering and will always be used. So far, in my class, I haven’t used derivatives alot, only a little. So maybe my ranking will change in the future.

16. cyeung1 says:

1.Hi my name is Christina Yeung. My major is Civil Engineering Technology. I am already in the field working as a field engineer in heavy construction.

2.My ranking is: 4,3,1,2,6, and 5.

3. The first two is 4 and 3. Without knowing the basic arithmetic, I am completely useless in this field. This field is all about arithmetic like negotiating prices, calculating if the job is using the correct beams and etc. This class absolutely helps me prepare. It helps me practice and use the arithmetic, it helps me think quicker when I use a computer programs like excel. As we all know, excel is mostly about inputting formats.

4. The way I ranked the list is a bit odd. But I definitely feel that with out numbers, 1-4, you won’t be able to even work with a team (6). I listed number 5 last, because I’ve seen some engineers go about another way without using derivatives to solve some problems. Honestly, I think every thing on the list is important in the civil engineering field. I didn’t want to rank it. I’ve seen my mentor use derivatives. I’ve seen them use arithmetic. I’ve seen them brain storm to solve problems. I’ve seen them use integrals to solve calculations for what size pipes and spacings for a specific part of a project. Eveyrthing is about team work. Everything on that list is extremely important to them everyday. If I lack in either one, I should definitely rethink of being in this field.

17. Keyla says:

Hi, my name is Keyla Arana, and I do not have a major yet because I am not in college. But when I do go to college, I plan on majoring in Pre-Vet and becoming a veterinarian.

My rankings are: 3,6,2,4,5 and 1.

I’m not sure how math is going to help me in having a job as a veterinarian, but I know that math is everywhere, so it should pop up at sometime. I chose number 3, “Brainstorm a variety of solutions to a problem. Decide among several equally-good solutions”, as my first choice because I know that being a veterinarian requires you to help animals, and at times, there are going to be a lot of problems you face, that is going to require you to brainstorm multiple solutions to a problem. This class does a good job on showing us different variations of problems and the different solutions they come with, but I’m not sure that it would be the same kind of problems I would get while being a veterinarian. I chose number 1 as my last choice because I think it involves too much math to be involved with being a vet. Even though I believe this is true, I still think that it is important to learn that activity. You’ll never know when it will come in handy, even if it involves something so minor. It’s always important to learn as much as you can, especially with math.

18. 1. Hi, My name is Gurpreet Singh and I’m majoring in computer science. After I become graduate, I want to continue my education and also get a part-time Job as a programmer.

2. My ranking is: 4, 2, 5, 1, 3, 6

3. Computer Science will require me to know from basic Math to almost advanced Math. I’ve reached up to Calculus and I’m fluid with taking derivatives but Integration is kinda tricky. But hopefully by the end of this semester, I’ll be a bit more proficient. I’ll have to know and learn many different computer languages and compare to Latex, those will 100 times more difficult but once you learn them you won’t forget them just like i didn’t forget my own language.

4. The last two on my list were 3 and 6. Number 6 is important to everyone because we all have to work together and gain knowledge from one another. About number 3, I think its necessary for everyone also to learn that because we do it every time we learn something new; For ex. when we try to solve a problem with calculus, students come up with different answers and different ways to solve one problem and most of the time our answers match but our methods don’t.

19. bettygeorge says:

My name is BettyAnn John-George, my major is Chemical Technology for now, but I will be attending John Jay College in the fall for forensic science. I will like to work as a toxicologist solving crime. My ranking is 3,2,4,1,6,5. The first on my list is #3 because forensics will take a lot of of brain storming in order to solve a problem or a crime. I believe all of the above will be important tools to have in being a toxicologist. Math is fundamental in our every day life and being a well informed individual will make for a very productive employee.
    The more knowledge you have the more productive you become and this makes for a greater society. Being well informed will help us to deal with the many challenges of life and to rich our highest potential. “Education is the key to success”.

20. Joshua Ruiz says:

My major is currently undeclared, but I intend to pursue my studies further at City College in Computer Engineering
    My ranking is: 2-6-3-4-5-1
    The first one, number 2 is very similar to the idea of learning a new function and how to apply it. Theoretically, it is the same idea as learning new programs in a computer and it can help create a basic mental structure when dealing with similar problems. As for number 6, it is not relate-able to the class to a great extent, but during the times we are given problems to work on do build that team feeling.
    The last two, derivatives and integrals will most likely not appear. However, performing these tasks opens my mind to new problem solving methods, and integrating via new means such as shells and washers provides conceptual knowledge which is desirable in the field of computer engineering.

21. endri says:

Endri Domi and my major is Electrical Engineering Technology. I hope to work in a big company where group work is preferred because working in groups will bring out different ideas and this is my rating, 3.2.6.4.1.5. In my opinion I consider brainstorming the best way for a solution of a final answer because ideas are thrown in the air by people and based in our needs we can pick and test whichever suits our case or problem. As for my second choice, in my field there are many different types of machinery that perform different actions and this is another main activity that I will have to face, using computer systems that most of them will be unfamiliar to me in the beginning. I think this class will not help me so much in this field and that I why I put number 1, 5 in the last place, because in these days we have a big technology evolution and there are apparatus that will do all these integrals and we won’t need to do it pencil and paper anymore (if we might face these problems).

22. koshygkoshy says:

Hello my name is Koshy, Bibin. The field I am currently studying is Electrical engineering Technology in Associates. What I plan to do after graduating with an associate degree is basically go into a college that has the continuation on what I am doing. As i am continuing my education, i am planning on looking for a job that will give me practical experience in firms like mta, etc… As for the ranking, my ranking order is 3,4,51,2 and 6.
    The reason why i chose 3 and 4 as my top is because they belong under the category of every day stuff or basic methods which can be used no matter in any job that you can get. Its good to have 3 under us, mainly because when we enter into a job, we can be faced with many challenges but if we keep our head straight and take our time to think it through, we’ll be able to go through these challenges. Math especially calculus, at many times, proved to me as something very difficult, but once i sat down and stopped thinking about every possible way to solve this, I was able to see calculus is easy. It is just the way you look at it, that counts. Because i was able to gain experience in just how to cope accordingly to different situations, I am always grateful to calculus and confident that I will do alright in the electrical engineering field. And in almost every job you go to, there will something that will cause you to apply basic math rules such as addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication, which is why i chose 4 right after 3.
    As for why i chose last item to be 6, I would have to put it as first but for someone who is working in an engineering/technical field, I don’t think there will be an option to divide responsibility with other people and get the final product done. I think, for most part for now maybe, there will be no particular final product that can be shared in terms of time and responsibility. However, if the job in the electrical engineering field requires me to present an item or project with bunch of people, then this will become 1 on my list.

• Tony Aguirre says:

BIBIN! I left you a comment but I don’t see it…so here it goes again. WHY is #6 on your list last???!?!?!?! Your words not mine, “you want to work for a place like the MTA or ConEd.” Well my dear friend you will, as a technician, being working with someone all the time. Think of it as an arranged marriage for a job a bunch of guys working together. Even if you become an engineer one day, which I’m sure you will, engineering you should know is a highly collabrative field. You never heard of one engineering building a fleet of 747’s or a row of buildings, or a mass of computers…#6 needs to be higher on the list…unless your starting your own small company…in any case I’ll see you in class tomorrow…..we are building an ohm meter right??

23. danytrueman says:

My name is Emmanuel Daniel,my major is civil engineering .I would like to have my own construction company. I want to have my PHD and become one of the best structure civil engineer.My ranking order is 3, 2,6,4, 5,1.This class is very helpful and the professor make calculus look so simple.I also want to teach MATH in college .Now its really hard to find a job in the field but since i like it i choose to do it,become a real great engineer

24. lance12 says:

My name is Lance Huff, my current major is Liberal Arts and Science. I will transfer to another school in the future. I’m not exactly sure what I want to do in the future, but I do know I would like to be in the medical field. I would like to major in either Biology or Radiology. Upon graduation, I would like to be employed in a hospital among other medical professionals or perhaps a private clinic.
    My ranking is: 3,6,2,1,4,5. I believe this class will benefit in the future as far as using your critical thinking. I know that Science consists of a lot of critical and analytical skills, being able to apply previous knowledge as well as common sense. Also, with the ever advancement of technology, it requires you to learn how to operate new technology if necessary, especially in a hospital setting. I believe the last two items on my list would be just as important only because arithmetic is applied in almost anything you do, regardless of profession.

25. sandrorivas says:

My major is Computer Engineering. After finishing college I hope to switch my job description to a Help Desk Technician where I work at and the same time I will be working on my masters for Computer Science. My ranking is 6,3,2,4,1,5. I work in a hospital and I realize that IT technicians work as a team. It could be for the simplest thing such as installing a printer to a network or something more sophisticated such as reprogramming softwares. Brainstorming is an important tool for an IT technician. As a team suggestions will help accomplish a task in a simplest matter. Math will always be part of my career. The last two items on my list are also important because there are some CET classes I still have to use integration and derivatives that are part certain formulas.

26. stan says:

My name is Stanislav Podolski.
    My major is Computer Systems and I’m hoping to become an application developer/systems analyst.
    List of Activities: 3,2,6,4,1,5
    I chose activity number 3, which is “Brainstorm a variety of solutions to a problem. Decide among several equally-good solutions” as the first one on my list. I did so, because when you work on any problem (math, programming, business), there are always more than one way to solve it. At this point the most important thing is to choose the right strategy. And that is exactly what we’re doing when trying to solve an integral. Also I think this course will be helpful to me, because knowledge of calculus is very useful for anyone who is trying to work in financial industry.

27. Kawaii says:

My name is David Chen, my major is computer engineering My ranking is 3,4,6,2,1,5. After this semester i going to go for A+ certification then find a job as a technician. i chose 3 as the most important because you nned to think of variety of soulution of why it does work and what needed to be done to fix it

28. Fengming08 says:

Hi. My name is Fengming Tan. My major is Liberal Arts and Science. I am hoping to be a accountant after graduation. From the list of activities above, my ranking is: 4, 2, 3, 6, 1, 5. My first ranking is number 4 because I think arithmetic is the base need in accounting from the list above. I believe this class is covered more than that. And I choose number 2 as my second ranking because accounting may need to deal with computer. If we know a computer system about accounting, it will be easier to solve some problems. The last item I choose is 5. I don’t know it’s important or not. But it won’t be a bad idea that we learn more in our lives.

29. adamh93 says:

Hi, my name is Adam Hussain. My major is Computer Engineering. I am going to college to pursue something I love, and to comfortable knowing I will be financially stable in the future. My ranking is 2,3,6,4,5,1. My field will require me to learn about unfamiliar computer system then finding solutions to complete the task on that system. This class will help me to be successful at my future job because we encounter problems which usually involves us brainstorming solutions to solve calculus problems so this will help my brainstorming skills. I highly doubt that I will be finding integrals or derivatives but I need to learn these mathematical problems to pass this class, and if I decide to change majors calculus might be useful.

30. Mansoor Baig says:

My major is Telecommunications Technology. Other than knowing that I want more of a hands-on based career, I am unclear to which specific career I will take since the Telecommunications field is vast. I assume that in any career I choose, all numbers listed by you will be utilized equally. Such as working in/with a team and having to do plenty of algebra/ calculus. I believe this mat 1575 class will help me improve my critical and logical thinking which is important. Many people can learn how to do the job willy nilly but efficiency is what will make me a better choice to have on the team.

31. cthoma12 says:

My name is Charles Thomas my major now is Liberal Arts and science. I actually came from NYiT where i was an electrical & computer engineering and computer science minor student . I plan to continue my engineering studies i love math science in general i have an infinite curiosity . After graduation i hope to be employed in some kind of lab building circuits or doing some kind of cutting edge research. my ranking is 6,4,2,3,1,5
    i think any employer now a days is looking for the charismatic engineer who can fix the plumbing in other words someone who is well versed not only in his field but different know hows. SO working in a team is a big plus (sorry introverts) .

the last one i chose because many engineers use math throughout their careers but much of it is simple math. in my circuits class the highest math i have ever used are trig functions (even though there is Laplace and Fourier series) which i did not cover yet

32. takther2009 says:

Hi my name is Taslima Akther. I am a liberal Arts and science student. I might change my major childhood teaching. So once I graduate I will become an elementary teacher. My ranking will be 6, 4, 3, 2, 5 and 1. I believe that in order for you to become a good teacher you need to know how to do team work and be organized. Especially for childhood education it is mandatory for a teacher. The last 2 items I had is not too important for my career, but I believe that it is always good to have extra knowledge. You never know where you can use this knowledge. This kind of information has enhanced my ability to understand the world better.

33. Saqib Shaikh says:

My name is Saqib Shaikh although my major is undecided, but once i’m transferred I plan on doing Finance or Economics. Or maybe even both? Who knows.
    From the list from high to low I would rank 4,3,2,6,1,5
    I believe the first two ranked on the list; simple calculations and brain storming different ways to approach a decision are skills in life that will be forever in use. Whether it’s your household budgets, along with the purchases you want to make. I feel like although this class I believe doesn’t give you everyday life skills, it does help you build strength in the fundamental idea of attacking a situation in many different ways by connecting it to how we learn to integrate different scenarios helps us that sort of way. You know if you look at it in some twisted ‘angle’. (Ha, math wordplay?)
    Anyways; my last two rankings would what this class IS actually based on, and its not for the reason that I think they are unimportant, but rather that everything else on the list has more of an importance. I do believe they will come back to haunt me in the career path I have chosen, but for the mere fact that I believe the other 4 serve as an everyday life function; those two have landed on the bottom of my list.
    This feels like a long rant.

34. Drake says:

Hi my name is Drake Li and I’m currently majoring in EMT (Electromechanical Technology). As for a job upon graduation, I’m not sure of what I would like to do. All I know is that I would like to do something that is very hands on. My ranking is 2,6,3,4,1,5. Why I chose number 2 as my first is because what I am hoping to do in the future will require me to know how to use multiple operating systems. I guess this class will help me in understanding different operating systems since most operating systems are made for the same purpose, but is executed differently(similar to the material we are learning now where there are multiple solutions to a problem). I also chose number 5 as my last because I doubt I would have to find a derivative in the future as I don’t know how it would relate to a job I would get.

• I am also in EMT and I also agree that #2 is the most you are going to be using in this field. You should be familiar with all or most operating systems such as windows, linux, mac and etc.

35. mendozak says:

My major is telecommunications engineering. I plan on being a New York City realtor, but since it’s one of the most cutthroat businesses in one of the world’s most cutthroat cities, I’m getting my engineering degree to fall back on.

As a realtor, I’d say the activities would likely rank as follows: 3, 4, 6, 2, 5, 1.

Realtors have to develop creative and innovative solutions to all sorts of problems. New York is a market all its own. It’s not as simple as throwing an open house and waiting for the right buyer. One has to be able to network, plan, publicize, and socialize. Math is also an integral part of being a realtor. Though, one probably won’t have to use more than Pre-Calculus- if ever even that. But having an acute grasp of concepts in Calculus would only make life easier and make more elementary math problems second nature.

As an engineer, I’d say the activities would likely rank as follows: 4, 3, 5, 6, 2, 1.

Modern telecommunications engineers have most of the math work done for them, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth it to know it for ones self. The best and worst thing about a computer is that is does exactly as it’s commanded when it’s commanded to do so. With that in mind, it’s necessary for an engineer to be smarter than the machines he or she is dealing with.

So, in essence, yes I believe it would behoove me both as an engineer and a realtor to do well in this course.

Khoreece Mendoza
    MAT1575 M/W 4PM

36. rbaron says:

My name is Ryan Baron and my current major is Computer Engineering Technology. I also have my associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology..When I complete my degree I would like to work for a electronic Company or the military if I have too. Some people would disagree with a military choice but it’s also a choice. They build you to be the best at what you do and to complete that task at hand under pressure and a time constrain . My numbers are 3,6,2,4,5,1. I chose these numbers in that order because I belief that when a problem presents itself you should always try to find the solution to it the easiest and simplest possible way first. Then if that doesn’t work , work as a team to troubleshoot and fix the problem. By working as a team you brainstorm faster and rule out possibilities fast. This way other members can express their opinion on the issue. As a technician I need to be a logical and critical thinker to know my hardware or software from top to bottom an inverse direction.. This is where math comes in .Take for example I have to design a device to broadcast a signal within a certain bandwidth..i would have to create a dome area of that region and calculate the distances and area of the region and tweak my device to those specifications. In computer engineering we need know how to solve a function for a program and how also trace back our results in a program using loops etc…this is where integration becomes useful by analyzing the problem, drawing a diagram, writing a definite integral and evaluating the integral. This is why I studied my field in that order from Electrical to computer engineering because we learn the hardware first then apply the extensions which is computer engineering to program that hardware. Since programs are the human element to the extensions of the machine(hardware)..

• shawnnyboyyy says:

I agree with your logic. Team efforts should always be high on someones list because you never know what ideas other people have until you hear them. Also makes you think alittle harder because you want to contribute to your team, especially in the military.

• jeffreym says:

i can relate to this, since my major is engineering as well. just like u i do hope to work with the military one day. also math will play an integral part of my career as well.

37. shawnnyboyyy says:

Whatsup Guys,
    My Major is Mechanical Engineering. The job I hope to get when i leave school would be anything in the Mechanical Engineering field. If i could be an Engineer for internal combustion engines any any car company that would be perfect.

My Ranking is 6,2,3,4,5,1.

Even though this class isnt directly related to the first 2 items on my list i believe it will still help me solve them. Math isnt just a subject that deals with numbers, it is a subject that deals with problem solving of all types. You first review the problem and then break it down into smaller steps that are easier to accomplish. Just like integration there are various different ways to do things and our job in life is to find the best one that suits us

Although I dont think i will ever need to find a derivative or anti derivative again once I leave school, I do believe it is important to learn it. Like I said before it is more then just learning how to do a derivative. It is about breaking a bigger problem down into smaller problems and then applying various different techniques in order to solve that problem. Real life is the same way. Every problem doesnt have one answer and they all have different ways in order to arrive at a given answer. Being able to use different steps and help break down a large problem to a smaller one is an important aspect of life.

38. mrcpotter says:

Hi my name is Charles Potter my major is Computer Engineering Technology. Upon graduation I hope to get a job where I will be working on, and developing the latest cutting edge technology preferably with a good mix of both office and field work. This ideal job would present me an opportunity to express my leadership and problem solving skills in a creative way.
    My ranking numbers are [3,2,6,1,5,4]
    This class will absolutely help me prepare for the task of brainstorming for solutions to a given problem; best example being the use of Integration to solve a problem but knowing which form to use and which form would be best or easier. With technology advancing at its current rate, you’re going to always have to adapt to new technology and implement it, this class prepares me for this in the way we will have to learn new material based on previous knowledge to solve new and more complex problems.
    Arithmetic is only last on my list because current technology allows us to perform these calculations at a faster rate… but arithmetic is always going to be important to learn because its used with calculating our paychecks, household budgets, teaching it to your kids and it’s the foundation to more advanced mathematics.

39. justinblaize says:

1. My major is computer engineering technology (CET). The job i am hoping for is an information technician (IT).
    2. My ranking is 3,2,6,4,5,1.
    3. My first choice of activity is #3. I think this class will help with brainstorming a variety of solutions to a problem because when we see an integration problem we have to choose what strategy to use to solve the problem. This is similar to the IT field. Someone would call with a problem and i would have to think of solutions to solve their problem then decide which solution will solve the problem.
    4. The last activity on my list is solving a problem using Integration. I chose this to be last because this probably wouldnt be used in the IT field. Although, i do think its very important to learn anyway just because it simply wont hurt and your that much smarter.

40. My name is Daniel Edwards. I am a telecommunications technology major. I hope to get a communication networking job. Where I can perform hands-on technical tasks because I feel that is what my major has prepared me for thus far. I still have a lot to learn, but I think that math and science are the background for life and how the world works so I’m sure this class and other math and science classes will be poeven beneficial in my future. My numbers are 6, 3, 4, 5, 1, and 2. I think that its better to be over prepared so knowing information you may not need to can help you in other aspects of life and even broaden your capabilities in a certain field. The more you know the more valuable you are.

41. rupadsingh says:

Hello my name is Rupa Drikpalsingh. I am a nursing major however this fall i am transferring to John Jay for Forensic Science. I hope to get a job as a lab tech in a medical examiner’s office. My numbers are 3,2,6,4,1,5 because doing a job like this requires you to solve crimes using different aspects of math, science and technology.

• Tiff Ca$e says:

I agree, Forensics is very precise and computer based. It deals with a lot of probabilities and getting a right match must be done is a timely but careful manner. I’m not sure if integrals are used but I know just like integrals, if you make one mistake while solving your (mystery) problem… Your answer will be wrong! Good luck by the way I think that is such an interesting field.

42. jeffreym says:

My name is Jeffrey Mongal. I am working towards becoming civil engineer. After I graduate I hope to become an engineer that either works for the NYC department of buildings or as an independent engineer. From the list of activities, I think the following list will be required by my job: 2, 6, 3, 4, 5, and 1.
    As a civil engineer there will definitely be a need to learn new software such as updates to AutoCAD and bridge and roadway design software. Since the scope of the projects that I will be working on will be building commercial buildings, roadways and skyscrapers there will definitely be team work involved and possibly meeting up after work to discuss the project that we will be working on. My lest likely activity as an engineer will probably be finding definite integrals and evaluating the integral.

I think this class will definitely help me in my career. First off, this class is particularly very challenging form and so will my assignments at work. Completing assignments such as web work will most likely help me get a feel of completing assignments on the job on a timely basis.

43. prosenjitdas says:

Hi,I’m prosenjit. my major is computer engineering but, i might change my major soon. I don’t know what kind of job i will be doing or seeking for. May be I’m in this major just because I’m into computer hardware. Anyway, I want to work for ConEdition as an engineer or may be my own business on computer hardware field. From the list of activities, my ranking is 2,6,4,5,3,1. My first choice of activities is working together as a group. As a group we always get a better answer and we can always help each other out. when we work individually we basically work with our own idea but when work together many ideas come alone with them. Even if i have no idea with my own work, somebody will be there to give me a idea. My least choice of activities is using solve a problem using integration, drawing maps. It is because i am not really into it. I know it’s required for the field i want to join but still its my least choice.

• zbrowne says:

I agree with your first two choices (2,6) Figuring out unfamiliar systems & using teamwork in this day and age is an invaluable opportunity to use whenever possible. Like the old saying goes, “two heads are better than one.”

44. Abdoulaye Diakite says:

Hello, I am Abdul. Telecommunications Engineering major.
    After i graduate, I’ll most likely be working as a remote sensing engineer using satellite imaging. Well, this course will sure help me analyze satellite images & pics, using derivatives and integrations, arithmetic… maths in general.
    My ranking: 2,3,1,4,5,6.
    Since I love working on field, I’d be working not on the same computer everyday, but on other computers using different softwares for different purpose. Of course, I’ll have to have my own little one to work on & store important data that I’d need on the go.
    I don’t mind working in a team, but today’s job market forces one to be as independent possible. Reason why the #6 is the last on my ranking.

45. Fly Jay says:

I am working towards becoming a physics professor so everything that I am learning now is invaluable. I really need to learn how to integrate because there are many functions that use calc. I have a theory that time does not exist and I have looked into proving this with matrix notation. Calculus is really awesome it’s just very time consuming and very detail orientated.

46. Musaib says:

Hi everyone,
    This is Musaib Ahmed and my Major is Electrical Engineering Technology. I want to work with circuit. i want to create new circuit which can be used is many electronics. To create those circuit you need a lot of math. My number is 3,4,1,5,6,2. I chose number 3 my first choice because brainstorm a variety of solutions to a problem will give you a chance to use your idea to the right direction. which also give you a chance to think about some thing deeply and find out the right way to solve the problem. Next, i chose number 4 because simplify the problem is a good way to solve a math. If you can simplify something arithmetically, it will be way more easier to solve. Again, i don”t like the number 6 because group work make you lazy and it will not give you a chance to think. also, number 2 will give you a way to finished your problem. However, you will not be able to learn the internal function of your problem.

47. jesus22 says:

My major is Electrical Engineering. My name is Jesus Herrera. when im done with my education. I would like to work for a company that build and design electronics for vehicles, aircraft or military electronics that can improve how things are done. onr company i would enjoy working for is the MTA because every one needs it to get to work and the new R160 trains are all digital. The way I believe numbers would correspond to me kn my field of engineering are 6,3,5,1,5 and 2. In my major we are ask to solve electric circuits. To be able to solve these circuit, we are ask to work in teams to solve this problem. we would have to think up different way to solve the problem. then once we choose a way to sovle it we apply calculus. we apply calculus to see how each components respons over a period of time and see the rate of decay as the voltage dissipate across the component. i always need to apply calculus or some form of mathematics to sovle the problem given. i all ready know how to use a computer and its function. but im welling to learn new computer software.

48. My name is Jakaria Ahmed. Im majoring in computer engineering technology. Im hoping to join a company such as ibm, or con-ed after graduation. My ranking is 3,6,2,1,4,5.Brainstorming to figure out a solution to a specific problem can be used in any job. Anything can come up at anytime and you might have to think about which solution is the best for the situation. Also number 6 is important and most likely will be used because we are sent in a group to figure out solutions to fix a problem. Everyone in the group will implement what they have learned so far in their careers in figuring out the solution. I believe this class is teaching us that. For example when we are in groups doing problem solving, we work to tegther to find out a solution for a specific problem. Each memeber is given an certain job for example the scriber, which will write down everything. Everyone has a part in the job.

• Drake says:

I definitely agree with you regarding to your rankings 3&6. At any given time, whether it may a relatively easy or difficult task, there is always a solution that is best for it. And especially with a group of people working on assignment, it will make it easier and faster.

49. zbrowne says:

Hey guys,

My name is Zekeba Browne & I’m currently majoring in the field of Computer Science. Once I obtain my Bachelor’s Degree, I plan to get an entry level job in programming that’s relatively related to my field. My Ranking: 3,6,4,2,5,1 (from most likely to least likely) Debugging is a huge part of programming. There will be many issues & obstacles that come your way & figuring a way out to find those solutions will be a must. Also working in a team is another important factor to factor in. Many companies require a group of programmers to program exact what they want. Simple arithmetic & very minimal integration/derivatives are also part of the job for a few programs, so it’s not something that wouldn’t become handy at all. Nonetheless all of these tools play it’s respective part in one way or another whether it becomes obvious now or later when running across that one program.

50. Hi I am Mirza and my major is biology. I want to be a doctor. From the list of activity, my ranking is 3,4,5,6,2,1. I would like to discuss about brainstorm a variety of solution to a problem. Thats helps to have a good judgement from several solution. It give a better understanding in any subject and gives the power to see very little difference in all solution as well. Calculus is a really enjoyable subject if we understand because it solve some problems which is almost impossible without calculus. From my personal experience when I use those formula to get area of some weird shape and we get exact answer makes me feel like I know magic. Anyways I enjoy this class a lot and I’m pretty sure whatever our major is, we will always need calculus if we try to solve all problem by ourselves.

51. Becky Jett says:

Liberal Arts & Sciences
    4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 1
    After graduation I will probably be doing office work as I have done so before. I’ve used weird database systems such as AS400 which I am still not quite familiar with. As for using arithmetic I think every job out there uses basic arithmetic. I’m not so sure this class will help me learn how to use an unfamiliar computer system, I actually highly doubt this class will help me use a computer system. In addition I don’t ever think I will use derivatives or integration after graduation. I think it’s fun to learn calculus (derivatives and integration) but I wouldnt say it’s important unless you go into a field that uses a lot of math.

52. KHonda says:

My name is Jigme Woser and my major is computer science and I want to work in field of IT or be a programmer since its expanding after graduation
    List of activity is 3,4,2, 1,6,5
    First and foremost would be brainstorming because when you are a programmer you have to look at some of the program and analyze it in your head before you even start writing it and second would be using arithmetic we use lots of arithmetic through out the codes addition , multiplication and the last two would be number 6 team work most the time we would be assigned to a code and work on it individually I am quite nor sure if we would use or find derivative

53. hi, my name is Kevin. I major in architecture where evidently, there is much math involved. My ranking is 6,3,2,4,1,5. this class will definitely help me with number 3, brainstorming several solutions to a problem. this is the basis of integrals. you are given a set of general rules in which you must pick the most convenient method to solving your problems. Many times you can derive several ways of solving a problem, but you must pick the method that is most practical, just as you would in the field of architecture. working in groups is also something that we have implemented in class. working together helps us find answers quicker and again, more practically. my last two options are last but not least. i can think of several situations in architecture where i might be asked to find the integral of a certain function. many of our greatest architects have based their designs on calculus specifically. many great buildings have curvilinear facades that are derived from a variety of functions.

54. just a little observation, i see that a lot of people are using number 3 as one of their top priorities. like i mentioned before, calculus is all about brainstorming and finding the most convenient way of solving a problem. this ties in too many majors and is an example of how math can and will help us with our careers.

55. pchen says:

Hello, My name is Patrick Chen and my major is Applied Math. After I graduate from college I’m leaning towards a job in math of course. But to be more specific, an actuary. An actuary is a business professional who deals with the financial impact of risk and uncertainty. Actuaries provide expert assessments of financial security systems, with a focus on their complexity, their mathematics, and their mechanisms. This career is heavily depended on math hence the Applied Math major. The activities that I would use on a daily basis are ordered from more often to least- (1,5,4,3,6,2). Hopefully the courses I take at City Tech will help me accomplish this.

56. ximenam1123 says:

Hello my name is Ximena Morocho and I am going to major in Biology. My list goes from most to least important (6,2,3,4,5,1)
    In the major of biology there are many different career paths. I am still not so sure of what it is I want to focus on. Some of my career choices will be medical assistant or lab technologist.My major responsibilities would be develop, standardize, evaluate, and modify procedures, techniques and tests used in the analysis of specimens and in medical laboratory experiments.Study blood samples to determine the number of cells and their morphology, as well as the blood group, type and compatibility for transfusion purposes, using microscopic technique.Enter data from analysis of medical tests and clinical results into computer for storage.Operate, calibrate and maintain equipment used in quantitative and qualitative analysis, such as spectrophotometers, calorimeters, flame photometers, and computer-controlled analyzers. I choice #1 as least important because the computer software seems more important. I still find it essential to learn about integrals because i need a good gpa to get into a good university.

57. Karen L. says:

I currently do not have a major. I am doing prerequsites to enter SUNY Optometry. I want to become an optometrist.
    My ranking is: 4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 1.
    My first task is using arithmetic. I would use it to objectivel find the glasses prescription of my patients by adding and subtracting diopters on a phoropter.
    My second task is using a computer system that is unfamiliar to me. The medical field is becoming more and more computerized. All patient records will have to be recorded electronically by the year 2015.
    This class will not help me to prepare me to complete these task because we learn arithmetic before calculus and it will not help me to use a computer program.

58. I am Nazir ahmed and my major is mechanical engineering. in my high-school life i always wanted to be an accounted. then in 11th grade i took physics first time in ma life. when i read through the physics, i found out its really interesting. after i graduated from high school i decided to be an engineer insted of accounted, because its make me feel good when i read physics book chapter by chapter. every chapter i read i learned something new like, velocity,acceleration, energy, force, work etc. then last semester i took my first calculus class and calculus is little bit similar to physics. most of the topic we learned in physics and calculus,its really helpful for the engineering major. i want to work as a mechanical design engineer, which is kind of like design the body of car, air plane , and others. my ranking is 5,4,3,2,1.
    i loved to work with a group, so we can share our ideas with each others. it is much easier to work with a group insted of working alone.

59. aman1992 says:

My name is Amanpreet. i am in a civil engineering major and math is a back bone of it..so i really needed it and my ranking is 6,3,2,5,4,1 and i am sure this class is helping me in my major..problem like integrals..derivatives ,area and volume will definitely use when i will construct the houses or building and that is all about calculation which these math will teach me . and i hope this class will not disappoint me and defiantly help me to reach my goal .

60. Tiff Ca$e says:

My name is Tiffany Levy. My major is LAS and I hope to move on to a bachelor in biology or along that line. My goal is to become an ob/gyn. Before going to medical school I hope to get a job in a hospital and if I am succesful and become a doctor I would like to specialized in researching cures , antibiotics and treatments for diseases and infertility.. My ranking is : 4,2,3,6,5,1.

My first option, this class will help me with since those are the basics and here we can expand what we already know into broader aspects which helps us understand that there are many ways to solving a problem. My second one not so much because the system I may work on might not even exist yet considering the time it will take me to be finished. My last two options are still very important to learn because I may likely use derivatives when prescribing and researching medicine. I’m not sure if the integrals are needed but learning anything that gets your brain going can be helpful for you in general. Like your body, the brain needs its excersise and in doing so, the mind becomes stronger and can be prepared to be up for any challenge ahether it be in school and in life as well.

• george says:

I agree with you Tiff the brain is just like muscle that needs to be stimulated in order to keep it working strong. Specially in the field that you are planning to work in. Math is very important. Calculus is used to find out the dosage a patient should take depends on their body weight and mass.

61. george says:

My major is Electrical Engineering Technology. The job that I am looking for is to be a Field Construction Coordinator for a Pharmaceutical Corporation or Law Firm. I would like to be the person that is in charge of delegating with the customer and the Construction company. This basically entails me understand what equipment is need to be installed for the customer and coordinator with the Construction company to meet their needs. This is me order(6,3,2,4,5,1). Well point # 6 is exactly the type of qualities that would help me complete my job. The ability to complete an assignment with a team of several trades, and make sure everyone is getting the part of the job on time. This class has help me, because in class there have been time where we would get into groups to solve problem. That excise help us work together to solve the problem. Point # 1 is also important to learn. I believe all construction job needs to calculate so from of math. What if you are trying to figure out how much concert is needed to fill an area that its side are not smooth. You can use integration to find the area, that way to do not over spend and only order what you need. That mean the contractor can save money by not wasting supplies.