Ulmer Short List #1

BP#8 by Naila: “Would you think of electracy as a paradigm shift?”

This question helps in my understanding of electracy because I’ve thought of electracy as being a reset tool. I feel that electracy, unlike orality and literacy, is meant to create a new way of seeing the world entirely from a “identity scope.” As speech was the important aspect of orality and writing for literacy, I believe that with human desire and the advancement of technology the method of teaching and learning would be completely tailored, based on individual needs in a way that may become isolating. Community would slowly diminish, as we will have the ability to have learning and teaching become a personalized event therefore, we learn what we want, how we want, when we want and control how we retain it. Which can be possible with behavioral data and a larger algorithm. This reset where we no longer rely on our communities or what is true or false but only ourselves and our desires, which was tested during the Covid-19 pandemic.

BP#9 by Tiana: “Has the concept of reflective judgement changed through the ideas of orality, literacy, Paleolithic, and electracy relating to culture, virtues, and morals?”

This question helps in my understanding of electracy because through orality, literacy, and paleo the ways in learning has changed, so has perspective.  Paleo allowed us the ability to understand the world and nature with use of our bodies. With orality we learned in a community environment through speech, we listened to what was being taught, and with the introduction of literacy we were able to question what was being taught, with being able to read and write. Literacy facilitating the start of individuality and separate identity. Each challenging the laws of nature and is a part of human evolution, by helping us understand ourselves, each other and our place in the world. Reflective judgment, to me, would be understanding that the elements of each method of learning is in the creation of electracy but then realizing that it is very different because it focuses solely on human desire with use of technology. As human desire will always be a precedent to change because we are always looking to advance and so will perspective.

BP# 10 by Khaled: Visceral question- “How can we shift away from a negative dimension of electracy and into a better society?”

This question helps in my understanding of electracy because it shows that in todays society, electracy is being used and as a result has already changed how we interact with each other and view the world. It has brought about institutional corporation and a chase for the next commodity, which is made easier with the advancement of technology. Therefore, we have corporations using ads to influence people. This question makes me think that as electracy continues to develop within society we will see more consequences of what comes out of human desire and technology as the tools provided. I wonder too if we will see more of the benefits of electracy.