Culture Jamming-BP 10

Ulmer: 

Q: What characteristics define the human visceral appetite? 

Ulmer explains that the human visceral appetite is define by the human concept of attraction and repulsion. But I am really unclear and unsure what the message he’s trying to convey in saying this. I just needed more clarity on what he’s trying to say while also trying to understand the psychology of what can be defined at the human visceral appetite.

Madrigal: 

Culture jamming has become a not so popularized concept as it’s being used for different forms of activism. But through the use of culture jamming, there comes advertisements that surprisingly getting more clicks and likes based on the ads that individuals gravitate towards. Not just to advertise your ad, you have to pay and this becomes a business through commercialism. To try and get your point or perspective across through the use of culture jamming, advertisers are charging the creators of the advertisements. By purchasing and distributing these ads, anyone who disagree, agree, or are neutral view the ads and the views and likes either increase of decrease. These ads hold no power over large corporations as they profit from the culture jamming bring about consumerism.

I chose this culture jamming image as an insult to social media specifically instagram. Instagram has become one of the most popular social medias apps around the world. It’s used to post photos and videos of what seems like the behind the scenes of a person’s life. When someone takes a picture or record a video to post on their story or feed, they are not actually posting in real time. Instagram has become a popular and pretentious app as the increased desire and need to be liked has caused for most posters to do, say, and act in ways that is not ideal to their personality. Posters and creators are only posting what they want their followers and viewers to see.

It’s a little blurry but I created this image as a mockery for the No Child Left Behind Act that was created when Obama was president involving primary and secondary school education. Because immigrants are being denied entering this country, it becomes especially had for their children to built lives for themselves. They say that children are the future, but if children are being mistreated and are seen as nothing but weaklings and even laborers, what are the chances that these immigrants children can become the future if the world sees them as less than what they are. Immigrants children are being locked away in detention centers and are used as laborers in sweatshops for even some of the biggest clothing companies. There is no future without these children and without them the world can’t continue to evolve onto bigger and better things.

9 Responses to Culture Jamming-BP 10

1. khaled says:

Image #1:

-I love the insult that’s given to Instagram.

-The Insta on the camera may have to be taken out because it endorses Instagram.

-Pictures around camera can be of something significant that give off more of your message.

-Words at the bottom need to be clearer, its barely readable after squinting.

Image #2:

-I like the American flag in the background and in front depicting the U.S. twice.

-The writing as the color white does not work because some of the background is white.

-Have a primary and/or secondary school in the background and show something wrong with it.

-The image can be improved by playing with the words “no child left behind” and change it to something that points out immigrants.

2. Diana Rivera says:

Image #1

• Just a quick question, was this image premade, or did you make it yourself?
    • I enjoy the meaning behind the image choice overall though and it’s a smart play on the name
    • I think you should have the name should be clear and not so blurry but that can be the way your computer saved the image.
    • The images can be images that can negatively impact people because of the mental play at hand, maybe like the Instagram models who promote the weight loss juices when they had surgery. Something like that would help promote the message. And even the dangerous type of pranks people post on Instagram for views.

Image #2

• I enjoy the images used in this image because it shows the pain children feel about being left behind
    • Change the words to black for the sayings “No Child Left Behind” and “A System Made For Us, Made By Them” so that it pops out and you can see it.
    • Maybe even use pictures of children being left behind and immigrant families like the image in the middle to show who is being taken away and the role that America plays in the problem of children being taken away from their families.
  3. Naila says:

Image #1:

I like the text and how the word Instagram was manipulated. I’m not really grasping what you’re trying to say with this image. I think the idea needs some more expansion to express your idea.

Image #2:

I think you are expressing an important idea here. I’m a little confused about “A system made for us, built by them”. Maybe you could expand more on this idea to bring your ideas together.

4. Elijaruhith says:

For Image #1, I really like the message you sent out, great message. I also feel the same about Instagram and I also think that it is slowly destroying our self-esteem. I think you can improve the image by enhancing the words, also adding “two-faced” emojis or images to the picture to show that Instagram is not real life and is just the highlight of someone’s life and you don’t know the struggle they are facing each day.

5. Elijaruhith says:

For image #2. The message was very powerful. I think every child deserves a chance for education. However, the writing was blurry to me I wasn’t able to read the caption you wrote on the poster. I think you can definitely work on it.

6. Tiana Beatty says:

I used Adobe Spark to create my culture jam. I used their already owned photo of an American flag. I knew I wanted to talk about immigration specifically children immigration. I am taking a history class about immigration and the discussion we had about two weeks ago influenced my decision to want to culture jam immigration. I’ve been told many times through family members, peers, teachers, and even customers from my job occasionally that the millennial generation and afterwards are the future. But it so happens if we as millennials and beyond are being mistreated through various pressures and expectations we can deter from the goals that are placed upon us. 

After I found the American Flag which represents the freedom and opportunity America is suppose to give to immigrants. I went on Google images and found pictures that included children doing labor and caged behind bars in detention centers. While placing them on top of the flag image I tried to crop it to try and remove the background, but when that didn’t work I tried to removing the background of the smaller images to make it blend in with the background of the flag which is the first layer. I found this to be the best technique because it took off the backgrounds and I was able to place the images according to my design without any conflicting backgrounds. 

7. SandyF says:

Image #1

I love the Instagram dig, I too used Instagram for my culture jam. I like the play on words changing it to “Pretentiousgram” and that you used the Instagram logo. I would say to improve it maybe make the image a bit clearer because it is hard to read and see the images.

Image #2

I like this image and the overall message you are trying to convey. I like that you included the no child left behind along with the images of children. It seems to be connected with immigration and the disparities that people of color face in this country, including children. I would say that there seems to be two messages here, maybe by adding some detail on the message about the system would help in making the idea whole.

8. Image 1: Can’t read what is under Pretentiousgram. I wonder if you could do more with that image. There’s not much “punch” to the culture jam.

Image 2: My feeling is that using No Child Left Behind is distracting. It pulls us to earlier years about an issue that is not immigration.Your colleagues have given you some good suggestions for improvement.