post #8

1. “Paleolithic was animistic, regarding everything as alive, using magic to promote survival (life/death). Orality identified divine cause, creating religion and the institution of the church to address right/wrong behavior mandated by God. Literacy identified nature as a cause (Phusis), creating true/false logics of science to manage material laws. Electracy opens a new chora, with humanity as cause, including a metaphysics of attraction/repulsion. This history should be taken into account when organizing education to native to the digital apparatus”. 

Is electracy the future of our educational system?

Is the digital world the future of our next generation? Do you think the changes will negatively affect our mental health or bring positive changes in our lives? 

This quote stood out the most to me while I was reading Ulmer’s piece. The reason I believe it stood out the most to be is because of the explanation. Recently, I have been self-reflecting and thinking about my future and where I am going with life so reading this gave me some sort of idea of the past and our current world. In addition to that, this piece was extremely informative, and I have obtained a lot of knowledge from it regarding electracy and digital humanities. 

2.“To my relief, the strange violence the Border Patrol agents had focused on us now seemed shifted to the dog. I no longer felt so strongly that we would be murdered. We exchanged looks–the dog and I. She was afraid of what they might do, just as I was. The dog’s handler jerked the leash sharply as she sniffed us, as if to make her perform better, but the dog refused to accuse us: She had an innate dignity that did not permit her to serve the murderous impulses of those men”.

Oftentimes surveillance can lead to emotional turmoil in human beings. It was disheartening to complete reading this article because of the traumatic events that were described. We are living in 21 century yet we are still experiencing discrimination against each other because of race, color, and social status. Everyone is trying to build a life for their family so it is extremely brutal to prevent people from achieving higher goods. In fact, I think it is dehumanizing to take the right to dream away from someone. 

3. “They have a tactic in which they let the migrant walk. They let him walk for two or three days so they would suffer hunger and heat. They have them very well localized, they know where the crossers are. Well, this is going to be there, he is going to walk for two or three days. I am going to go home and sleep: tomorrow when I come back, I’ll get him to underneath a tree while he is tired or waiting”. 

This is a quote from Jason’s article. This was a conversation between a patrol officer and an agent. This shows how cruel the process of crossing the border can be. They are basically setting the migrants up for death. It was daunting to read this article. However, I am thankful for the knowledge I have gained from this article. The system can be extremely biased and indecent, therefore we human beings must take the right steps to bring changes within society. Also, we must work toward preventing hate crime, racism, and discrimination and continue advocating for better education for all human beings. 

One Response to post #8

1. Good. I’d be interested to hear more about the specific issue of immigration.