BP 1

GEE: “The discourse practices associated with our schools represent the
world view of mainstream and powerful institutions in our society;
these discourse practices and their concomitant world view are
necessary for social and economic success in our society. But they are also tied to the failure of nonmainstream children in our schools
and are rapidly destroying alternative practices and world views in less technologically advanced cultures throughout the world.”

What I think Gee is saying is that there is a significant difference in the level of education that has to do with students in schools and the effect of having a successful learning environment that requires equity in the classroom of kids from diverse backgrounds and abilities.  I can agree with Gee’s view because children that come from have low income families aren’t exposed to the same level of education taught to those who are wealthier. I also think race comes into play because children of color are considered secondary and not a priority compared to non colored children.

POSTMAN: “Our task is to understand what that design is- that is to say, when we admit a new technology to the culture, we must do so with our eyes open.”

What I think Postman is trying to say that technology provides both benefits and problems. Postman believes that that once this technology is made available, it behaves irrationally and without human control. I can see where he is coming from but I don’t totally agree with his view because the impact of the internet, a communication tool that fills society in with information, depends on its users and can be both positive or negative .

One Response to BP 1

1. Thanks for your responses. I can’t pick up the literal, intellectual, emotional, and as a writer responses.