BP 1

James Paul Gee:

The quote I am choosing is: “But one major factor keeps literacy, apart from any cultural context, in focus: the claim that literacy leads to higher order cognitive skills.” It basically means that literacy can affect the way we comprehend. For instance, Gee goes on to talk about a research study in which there were two groups. They found that literate participants grouped the words based on abstract meaning while the non-literate participants grouped the words based on concrete settings. The passage makes me contemplate how much of an influence literacy and other factors such as our society and school education has on our cognitive skills. This makes me feel contemplative and curious about my own interactions with my different circles. Gee uses good examples and research to support his points. He also makes a good transition from section to section. 

Neil Postman:

Throughout the reading, the author advises us to question technological advances and view all aspects of it. Only from viewing the good and the bad can you really fully understand and discuss a topic. Postman quotes Freud’s “Civilization and Its Discontents”(Page 5 to 6), where Freud begins his piece by giving praise about the benefits of technology. First giving acknowledgement of the potential “good and pleasures” it can provide. The medical advances that have come from technological advances and the ability to communicate with someone from miles apart, are a couple examples. Freud then begins to change the course of the writing showing us what we have lost through technology. For example, the loss of physical interactions and the extensions of a meaningless life due to technological advances. After quoting Freud, Postman goes on to essentially state that he would disagree with Freud, but express how a “wise man” must begin a critique by giving acknowledgement of both sides. The passage makes me think about every time I’ve had to critique or take a stance on a subject. Was I a “wise man” and viewed both sides; praising the positives before expressing the negatives. I was also thinking about Freud’s take on technology, where I opposed his take and sided with the author to an extent. As Freud displayed his thoughts in his writing, Postman wrote in a similar manner, showing us both sides of the coin.

One Response to BP 1

1. This is good for your first post, Aaron. I’d like to see you develop your thoughts some more. It’s difficult to connect with what you’re saying with only one sentence responses to each category. I think blocking each section visually (Literally, Intellectually . . . ) would make it easier for you. Feel free to update this if you wish, but a good job for the first time round.