Warm Up Blog – Khaled Akam

1. My name is Khaled Akam and my parents were born and migrated from Yemen at an early age. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and went to school in the area up until college, which was at Hunter College in Manhattan. I grew up learning from my parents about being Muslim. When I went to Hunter College I didn’t know what to focus on so I joined the Marine Corps and did 5 years active duty. This was the only time I left the city and moved back and forth for training and school for my job as an aircraft technician. Some places I lived at were Camp Geiger North Carolina, Parris Island South Carolina, Pensacola Florida, Little Rock Arkansas and New Windsor New York. The neighborhood I currently live in is Park Slope. I’m a student trying to find a passion in creative writing. I don’t have a job because I wanna focus on myself and school. I like to run, hike, swim and eat junk food. Also play board games/video games with friends and family. My goal is to try to make my dream come true of writing screenplays for fantasy movies.

2. “We must also understand how that product came into being, and why it assumed the form that it did.”
We have to understand the thought process of the writer and why the writing was presented to us in that manner. This can be referred to how it looks to us as readers. I remember taking writing courses over 5 years ago and not comprehending it fully but still able to pass with a decent score. Now I can see the paradigm shift in writing because the reading and writing I’ve done in just the first week in school is very fluid in providing me the answers I need. Teaching writing is being provided the correct resources and learning environment which breaks away from a traditional paradigm. It made me feel disappointed of my early childhood writing development but also ecstatic for the now and future of what we can accomplish. It would have been amazing if all the writing that was produced was seen earlier in life but that just means you can expect more of this writing change in the future.