Creative Detournement Project

Fast Food

17This detournement shows the amount of sugar in each fast food beverage. It was created in hopes that it would cause individuals to rethink what they consume if they do drink beverages such as the ones shown. The “still lovin’ it?” slogan was taken and flipped from McDonald’s “im lovin’ it” as a means to attack places that sell fast food. The slogan “still lovin’ it?” simply asks individuals if they would still eat the food despite knowing what was in it.

I believe I could have improved on this detournement by focusing on one company, mainly McDonalds as it would make sense to use their own slogan against them. I was inspired by the many documentaries that show what is really in fast food and talk about those who constantly eat at these restaurants.

Police Brutality

12

This detournement shows an officer committing police brutality on what appears to be a harmless old man. The police department’s famous motto “to protect and serve” is shown in big letters at the top, it was used for two reasons. First, it shows irony. Irony allows the message that is being conveyed to become more clear to the audience. The second reason is because it’s known throughout the world. Those who know of this motto would be able to easily connect and understand the message.

I decided to create a detournement based on police brutality  because it was a topic that I discussed multiple times in previous projects, so I was well informed before creating this. I was immediately inspired by the news reports of individuals who were unarmed and brutality attacked by the police, such as Robert Davis in 2005.

Monsanto rBGH 

13

This image shows the result of Monsanto injecting rBGH on cows. rBGH is a genetically engineered artificial hormone that makes cows produce more milk. it caused their utters to become infected (as shown in the detournement) and leak pus in the milk. Despite this, Monsanto continued injecting rBGH on cows and sold their milk as it was.

“got rBGH?” was added to mimic the “got milk?” advertisements. Those who know of the slogan would be able to connect and have an idea with what this detournement relates to, which is milk. However many may not know what rBGH is. I believe that the combination of the elements shown (pictures and font) creates enough curiosity in individuals to research what it is. Which should be the goal of any detournement.

I decided to choose this topic because Monsanto’s crime was something that was stuck in my head for a long time after we talked about it class. I believe this detournement can be improved by changing the image to one that shows the infected utter more closely. However it should be one that doesn’t cause individuals to look away in disgust and possibly ignore the message being conveyed.