Response 1

1) My name is Naveeda Akhtar. I am 19 years old and from Pakistan. I love to read, and in my spare time, I like to write short stories and poems about the world around me. I`m taking this class in order to better my writing. I believe that there is always room to improve and so I am looking to enhance my writing to the point in which I can be proud of it. I think that the syllabus is on point in regards to what is important and necessary to make this course successful for everyone. The course packets are very well thought out and nicely put together. They reflect the main stories that we will be paying attention to in this class. It is very useful to have all the stories in one package rather than have them in several different books which I think, is a waste of time and money. I am looking forward to watching the films and writing about them since I think it will be a ton of fun. I don`t have any questions concerning this class since the syllabus answered everything for me.

2)(a) In “The Judgment of Thamus” by Neil Postman, Postman describes the positives and negatives of technology on the human world. He elaborates on the story of Thamus to point out where Thamus is indeed wrong. Thamus states that “writing will be a burden to society and nothing but a burden.” (Postman, 4) This is inaccurate since writing, although in a way might disrupt the natural flow of society, it also provides massive benefits to those who wish to become more than what they already are. It provides tremendous room for growth and improvement, which Thamus had yet to see. Moreover, as technology advances, new technology soon starts to replace old technology causing a lot of confusion. This confusion is depicted in modern technology such as the television which confuses children as to whether or not they should focus on the images or the words located at the bottom of the screen. Technology has expanded and changed our world completely. It has changed how we view and think, as well as shaped our actions to be of those we don`t recall anymore, making us into completely different people.
(b) I believe that Postman delivered his message in a very detailed and straightforward way. He describes the ways in which technology was good and/or bad and provided very accurate examples to back up his argument. It surprised me to know what a huge impact technology has on our lives, including mine. I never realized the tremendous weight it puts on your shoulders and how the weight can never be fully lifted. It really affects a person`s livelihood by asking for constant attention and needing constant approval. Technology, although very demanding, can be beneficial as well as influential on our daily lives.

2 Responses to Response 1

1. I feel as if your interpretation of the reading was well thought out and you were able to make a personal relation to it. I feel the same way you do about our dependence and connection to technology. I think a lot of people don’t realize just how attached they are to their devices and how much of an impact they have on our society today. Many only pay attention to the positives they bring into our lives.

2. Well done! Make sure to preview your post to get the presentation (spacing) correct.