Response to Beyonce’s Lemonade

Amani Nassar

English 1121

Dr. Hall

As I read the article titled “Beyonce’s ‘Lemonade’ Is A Revelation of Spirit” I found myself confused at one point as to why the writer chose to keep relating Beyonce’s work to other artist instead of just focusing on her album giving it more critic and explaining a deeper meaning behind her album. I later realized that he used the explanation of other artist work to add to not only his writing, but to kind of add to the development of how Beyonce has changed over the years. Hilton does point out some really good things like when he brings up “what once mattered can quickly seem depressingly old.” The music industry is constantly changing just like almost everything else, people are having to reintroduce themselves in a new way to keep up with the demands of their fan base to keep up their reputation. Beyonce has always portrayed a message of female empowerment while making a lot of comments towards love or men, like most artist do. These are topics we can all relate to at one point or another in our lives and artist like Beyonce make the music that helps us get through these things. I was able to learn a lot from this article like the meaning of the songs from the album, the symbolism behind things like the drowning of the police car, and the inclusion of other artist in her music.