Weeks 9&10: Due 10/31

Colonial Hot Chocolate - The Daring Gourmet

In-Class Unit 1 Revision Discussion and Revision exercise

The weather is getting cooler, and we are midway through the semester, continuing with Unit 2: Good Trouble, the Reflective Annotated Bibliography.

After narrowing down your topic in conversation with me, AKA Prof. Hellman, begin researching.  Start with a search on The New York Times website, and also check out Opposing Viewpoints through the City Tech Library website.  Aim to find 2  sources that you can use for your bibliography.

Begin scaffolding your Reflective Annotated Bibliography draft in a Google or MS Word doc.

****Please check out this student Unit2-RAB-Model; you can work from this Word document or at least use it as a template.     Update: we will work in Google Drive Unit 2 folder  if you have not already pasted your work below, simply work on it in the Drive  

1. Write out your introduction paragraph, which should include what you are interested in researching, why this interests you, what you already know about it, and what you hope to find out/ some questions you have.

2. Begin your source entries. For each one of your 2 sources, write:

• the MLA citation. Input your source info on www.easybib.com to come up with the citation format
  • 1-paragraph summary of main ideas (aim for 4-5 sentences)
  • 2 key quotes you found that represent important ideas, with citation info (paragraph number)
  • 1-paragraph response to the source, with your own opinion on the content (here you distinguish your own ideas from those of the author/artist) and why you chose to include it in your bibliography. You could also include a response to some of the quotes you chose. (5-6 sentences)
  • We will mix in the final ingredients of the RAB (Rhetorical Analysis and Conclusion)  next week!

1. Maria Herrera

1. Something I would want to write about would be about immigration. I am interested in writing about immigration because currently a lot has been happening at the border. I want to mainly focus on the situation that happened with children being separated from their families. Around 2019, during Trump’s presidency. I know that millions of families were separated and something about children being in cages. Till this day some parents still don’t know where their children are. Some questions I have, Are immigrants protected? If something happens to an immigrant and they protest, will their voices be heard? Or will they be ignored? Why do immigrants have to live with fear of deportation, if some actually contribute to this country. Meaning they are hard workers, and pay their taxes.
    2. Jordan, Miriam. “‘I Have No Idea Where My Daughter Is’: Migrant Parents Are Desperate for News.” The New York Times, 9 Apr. 2021
    In the article, “I Have No Idea Where My Daughter Is: Migrant Parents Are Desperate For News.” , A Honduran mother came to the United States 10 years ago leaving a little girl behind. Once she had a stable life here, she would bring her daughter (Cindy) to the US. Cindy was held at a refugee resettlement, waiting for the government to approve Cindy’s release from custody. But Ms. Mendez wouldn’t hear much from Cindy, until one day Ms. Mendez received a call from Cindy due to her being sick of Covid and having to be hospitalized. If Cindy didn’t make that call her mom, Ms.Mendez wouldn’t have know. Due to the convention center in San Diego where Cindy was detained not advising Ms. Mendez.
    “Some children have gone weeks or longer without being able to contact their parents.” (Paragraph 9)
    “The lawyers found that many children were waiting several weeks before being permitted to speak with family members.” (Paragraph 27)
    It’s a really sad situation that kids were being separated from their parents. Parents having to wonder if their children are ok or what could be happening with them. I find it extremely wrong that children had to wait several weeks before they had permission to speak to family members. If children were being relocated, parents wouldn’t have been warned. It’s upsetting that Ms. Mendez went weeks without hearing about her daughter, until a call that she received from Cindy. Informing her mother that she was hospitalized due to having Covid and no one advising her where Cindy was but also being left alone.
    Dickerson, Caitlin. “Parents of 545 Children Separated at the Border Cannot Be Found.” The New York Times, 21 Oct. 2020
    In the article, “Parents of 545 Children Separated at the Border Cannot Be Found.”, In 2019, when it was revealed that thousands of children were being separated from their families, the Trump administration were trying to keep these details a secret. In June 2019 when the court intervened, it was revealed that there were over 5,000 separated children. 2,000 families were able to reunited. But about 545 of migrant children who were separated from their parents at the US-Mexico border were still not found by their families, according to court documents.
    ““The Trump administration had no plans to keep track of the families or ever reunite them and so that’s why we’re in the situation we’re in now, to try to account for each family,”” (Paragraph 29)
    “The steering committee has been able to locate the parents of 485 children belonging to those 1,100 parents. The rest have not been found.” (Paragraph 36)
    Caitlin Dickerson in her article mentioned that the Trump administration didn’t want to share any additional information (data) because it was “not necessary”, which is wrong that information would have been necessary for parents knowing where their children could be found. The court being intervened in June 2019 was a good move. This would reveal everything that was being hidden by the Trump administration. Such as the new data of more than 5,500 children were separated from their families. The Trump administration planed to separate families but not keep track or even reunite families is something people without a heart would do. This is something crucial.

2. Caroline Hellman

This is very strong, Maria! Thank you for kicking us off with the RAB scaffolding!!!

The only revision I recommend is labeling each part (Summary, Quotes, Reflection).

3. Ziqi Lin

1. Something I would like to write about is Asian hate. Racism is everywhere and still going on today, especially during the pandemic that started in 2019 was when Covid-19 became a big problem. A lot of Asians were attacked and even killed because of a virus. I know that in NYC train stations, some people even pushed people who are Asian in the train tracks. I also read something on Instagram where an old Korean lady was attacked in the park and later that day she died in the hospital. Just because she was Asian, she was attacked. Some questions I have is for those people who attacked Asians, if a virus came from a country that they are from, and they got attacked how would they feel?
    2. “Covid ‘Hate Crimes’ against Asian Americans on Rise.” BBC News, BBC, 21 May 2021. In this article the author stated, “ An elderly Thai immigrant dies after being shoved to the ground. A Filipino-American is slashed in the face with a box cutter. A Chinese woman is slapped and then set on fire. Eight people are killed in a shooting rampage across three Asian spas in one night.” This suggests that not just Chinese people got attacked but all kinds of Asian people were hurt or even worse, killed because of a virus that wasn’t even their fault. Based on the article, it also showed a chart of the discriminations that have happened. Some of the discriminations were “verbal harassment, physical assault, coughed/spat on, and workplace discrimantion or refusal of service.” Not only has the virus caused many people to lose their jobs, some people still can’t get a job because of their race.
    “Covid ‘Hate Crimes’ against Asian Americans on Rise.” BBC News, BBC, 21 May 2021. “An 89-year-old Chinese woman was slapped and set on fire by two people in Brooklyn, New York” (Paragraph 10). This is scary to me because I am Asian and these things are happening close to me. I’m an introvert so I’m fine with not going outside, but others may not feel the same way I do. My cousin was worried about me going to places alone on the train even if it’s in the day! My mom now is scared to walk home after work when there’s no buses.
    In the article, Mr. Biden said, “We need to unite as one people, as one nation: and he also said hate is “an ugly poison which has long plagued and long haunted our nation”. I agree with what he says hate is, some people will do anything to destroy the things they hate or people. We can’t control what others do but what I would say is if you don’t have to like everyone, but if you don’t like a certain person then just don’t bother them, they are not bothering you and they probably don’t even know you. No reason to hate or hurt someone just because of their race.

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Ziqi,
      You’re off to a good start here. Can you please use the template attached to this week’s post, so the different parts of the RAB are labeled? (summary, quotes, reflection, etc)

4. Mohamed Kaba

Introduction:

1. My Unit 2 topic proposal will be on the advantage of electric cars over vehicles. For decades, we have been using natural gas vehicles, which is detrimental to our environment. I am interested in electric cars because it is the best way to save our environment. Electric cars have good impact to our environment because it uses electricity instead of gas to perform. Electric cars will play a pivotal role to reduce emissions over time. They do not cause global warming, the use of non-renewable fuels, and the emission of air and noise pollution. I already know that the fuel vehicles cars use come from the ground. The extraction of oil causes the deterioration of the soil and subsoil. After the extraction, millions of gallons of oil split on the ocean, which will cause air and ocean pollution. What are the benefits of electric cars?

2. Board, The Editorial (July 18, 2017). “A Brighter Future for Electric Cars and the Planet.” The New York.https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/opinion/a-brighter-future-for-electric-cars-and-the-planet.html?searchResultPosition=2.

Summary:

The author states in this article that it is impossible to tackle climate change without making changes in the way we go from here to there, i.e. cars, trucks, planes. The author goes and to states that electric vehicles have a huge advantage on the potential environment. Furthermore, according to the transportation sector accounts for 14 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions and 27 percent of emissions in the United States. The author remarks that the overchange to electric cars will have a good impact on the climate because gas vehicles produce more greenhouse gas emissions per unit of energy than power plants fueled by natural gas. The author ends by saying that, although some fossil fuel industries will try to ruin the electric cars revolution or some Republican leaders in Congress have already made clear that they do not see climate change as a threat, they should know that they can only retarding the process. The electric cars are already out of the garage.
    Quotes:
    “Moreover, countries have found it much more difficult to reduce planet-warming gases from transportation than from power plants.” (Paragraph 5).

“Proponents say the growth of electric cars, when combined with the surge in renewable energy sources, like solar and wind, could lead to big reductions in emissions over time.” (Paragraph 6).
    Reflection:
    The decision we are making can have benefits or negative impacts for the next generations and their environment. Making the choice of using electric cars now will be beneficial for us. By choosing electric cars, we are helping to reduce harmful air pollution created by emissions. Although EV still creates greenhouses gas emissions when it is charged the electricity, it has zero emissions while it is rolling. Reducing emissions is good for our health. Better air quality conduct to fewer health problems which are caused by air pollution. By using electric cars fewer emissions will be produced, and the ozone layer will be less affected by the greenhouse gas.

Article 2:
    Davenport, Coral. “Biden, in a Push to Phase out Gas Cars, Tightens Pollution Rules.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 5 Aug. 2021, https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/05/climate/biden-tailpipe-emissions-electric-vehicles.html?searchResultPosition=7.
    Summary:
    Coral Davenport in this article speaks about the plans of President Biden to phase out gas cars, reinforce the pollution rules, and his will to extend the use of electric cars. President Biden claims a multistep strategy focus on rapidly switching Americans from gasoline- powered cars to electric vehicles. The author remarks that without a rapid change in the type of vehicles Americans drive, it will be difficult for President Biden to hold his promise to cut planet-warming emissions by 50 percent before the end of this decade. The largest source of greenhouse gases produced in the United States come from cars and trucks accounts for 28 percent of the country’s total carbon emissions. Then, the author states the President also forced the government to ensure that half of all vehicles sold in the US be electric by 2030. The author ends by saying that some industries are already retooling for all-electric cars because of policy changes in California and. General Motors ensure it will only sell zero-emission vehicles by 2035.

Quotes:
    “There’s a vision of the future that is now beginning to happen, a future of the automobile industry that is electric — battery-electric, plug-in hybrid electric, fuel cell electric.” (Paragraph 4)

“With the impacts of a warming planet seen in record droughts, deadly heatwaves, floods and wildfires around the globe, scientists say that simply restoring Obama-era climate controls will not be enough.” (Paragraph 13)
    Reflection:
    Coral Davenport in his article proves at which point president Biden is determinate to urge the use of electric cars in order to reduce global warming. Indeed, the use of gas car affect us in many ways but the most important thing is on the environment. It starts with crude oil extraction which drills into the land and will degrade the soil. After that oil spills on the ocean which pollutes the water and kills some marine mammals. The use of the fuel in our cars product a greenhouse gas which causes global warming. This issue will lead to droughts and desertification of lands. President Biden is making a deed of leadership to enhance the use of electric cars, and ask congress for 174 billion to create 500,000 charging for EV cars. Having more charging stations will excite more to use electric cars.

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

This looks very promising, Mohamed. The only revision I’d suggest is being a bit more specific in your introduction of the topic.

5. Kobe

1. something that seems very interesting to research about is how the pandemic has affected many people. To be a little more specific I would talk about people who are undocumented and the problems they faced. A thing I know is that through out the pandemic people who are undocumented didn’t have the same support as many others. Another thing I know is that many people who are undocumented work with jobs who pay cash and many cash jobs you have to interact with one in another. What I know is many lost their job and didn’t have a way to support their family’s. A question I have is how were they able to overcome these problems?
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/15/nyregion/nyc-street-vendors-undocumented-immigrants-covid.html
    2. No Papers, No Jobs: The New Street Vendors of Queens
    Nov. 16, 2020
    By Juan Arredondo and David Gonzalez
    Cristina Sanchez who is speaking out about being undocumented and how the pandemic has affect her. In other words the problems in which she’s facing such as losing her job, don’t have money to pay rent, food, and even to support their family back at home. Cristina
    also talks about how being left jobless only gave gave her one option which was to turn towards being a street vendor. But she realizes that isn’t the same as her old as a dry cleaner where she would make $700 a week.
    “For Cristina, 47, Her eyes brimmed with tears at the thought of her family back in Mexico. I used to send them $150 each week,” she said. Now I maybe can send them $20. She is among the city’s more than half a million undocumented immigrants whose lives have been upended by the pandemic but who are ineligible for most financial assistance, including stimulus money and loans. With little recourse, many immigrants from Latin America — who already were among the hardest hit by the virus — have resorted to what they did back home: working as ambulates — street vendors.”
    It makes one wonder how many people out there in the world have been in the same citation as Cristina. It also very shocking to see how just with a blink of an eye someone’s life can change dramatically. In some sense I feel like it very hard for Cristina because she probably has the same amount that she used to send her family but doesn’t send all cause it would leave her empty handed. I also feel like people who weren’t eligible for the stimulus should have at least received something because they still working and helping the economy move as well as helping their community in some way.

Desperate for Covid Care, Undocumented Immigrants Resort to Unproven Drugs
    By Amy Maxmen
    June 20, 2021
    Amy Maxmen elaborates how many immigrants didn’t have a way to help themselves stay health through out the pandemic. which then led them to get any type of drug that they can get their hands on without having a prescription on them for a treatment for covid. Many immigrants were getting sick and didn’t want to go to the hospital because they didn’t have health insurance . Also many of them had fear of the hospital do to the fact that rumors they heard in which that undocumented immigrants had checked in and never left.
    “Undocumented immigrants from Mexico and Central America who have gone to the emergency room at her hospital often mention home remedies, vitamins or antibiotics they have injected or ingested before seeking care. “I’m not upset at patients when they tell me what they’ve taken,” Dr. Page said. “I’m upset about the system that makes it easier for them to get help from nontraditional places than from regular health care.”
    It very surprising because you don’t see that many radio stations, news or even people talk about the struggles that many immigrants have to face do to Covid. You ever just wonder why cant health insurance be for everyone? We should all be able to look out for one another and help one another through out these hard times. These people are suffering even much worse because one shouldn’t seem to have fear in a hospital, if a hospital is meant to save, help, and protect you. They also suffer worse because they taking drugs that they don’t even know how it could possible help them or even how they body would react towards it.

• Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Kobe,
      Good start here. Can you please use the template for the RAB so the different parts (summary, reflection, quotes) are labeled? You’ll also want to put the citations in MLA format.