Week 17: The Finish Line! (Due Dates Below)

Skating in Central Park | Smithsonian American Art Museum

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!  Stay in touch! ALL FINAL WORK for the class is due DECEMBER 19th.

• Upload Unit 3, plus separate reflection paragraph at the end, to the Unit 3 Google Drive (under MAJOR ASSIGNMENTS) by Monday 12/13
    • Your 1-paragraph reflection should address the following: how or why you became interested in the topic; the purpose of your piece; why you decided to write in the genre you did,  for this particular audience; How it went (the extent to which you feel it was successful and why); where you think this might be published or shared beyond our class
  • Project Presentations: 12/14 in class. Be prepared to speak about your Unit 3 work for 3-5 min. Present your slides/video or have one visual up on the screen while you talk about your topic.
  • Final Course Reflection  (leave a comment below) Due 12/17.  Write a 1-paragraph final reflection that addresses the questions below.
    • What have you learned about yourself as a reader and writer this semester? What were your early assumptions/beliefs about yourself and writing, and what do you believe now?  How would you compare/contrast work done early on in the semester to now?   What was particularly challenging for you in our course this semester and how did you overcome this (or attempt to)? What advice would you give to students taking this course next semester? Discuss what you learned in this class and how you might transfer this knowledge to other writing tasks or situations in future English classes, courses in other subjects, academic or job applications, and your community.

1. Cynthia Balan

Unit 3 Reflection Q&A:
    Topic:#Metoo Project
    Group I’m reaching out too :Young adults in high school.
    How or why did you become interested in the topic?
    Sexual assault is a global issue, where individuals fall victim every day. Sexual assault does not have; an age, race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation, it has no preference. Since fear has a powerful effect on people can it prevent and individual from reporting a sexual assault.Secual assault is a big issue that needs to be more spoken about that is why I have chosen this topic today.
    What is the purpose of your piece:
    The purpose of this video essay is to express the importance of speaking up about an issue that isn’t spoken about. Living in Brooklyn New York many men and women have dealt with the hollering from many men and it’s extremely uncomfortable for many.When someone has been sexual assaulted guilt builds up and self blame starts to kick in. Many women and men tend to keep quiet due to the belief of not being believed. This is a time for us to speak up about sexual assault and the #Metoo Movement is a start.
    Why did you decide to write in the genre you did,for this particular audience?
    I picked this genre because sexual assault tends to be uneasy for many and when people speak upon this issue it’s hard for people to make it sad and depressing so I wanted to uplift others to express there feelings about them being sexual assaulted and draw people to this situation that has been going on for decades.
    How it went (the extent to which you feel it was successful and why?)
    This movement was extremely successful. Shanon made women and men March for days to let many know that it is okay to come forward about this situation.
    Where do you think this might be published or shared beyond our class ?
    I do feel like this can help young kids/young adults about sexual assault and how to be safe in these situations. I have made my project easy enough to understand.

2. Cynthia Balan

Cynthia balan
    Final unit 3 reflection
    College has been a journey and I have just started but I know it’s something that I will get through. Growing up I haven’t been the best at writing but I’ve been very vocal when it comes to reading. I have been through many speech classes since first grade and felt like I haven’t gotten any better at my writing skills. English 1101 gave me an opportunity to express myself with all 3 units. I do feel like I still need to work on many things but I see a big improvement with my writing especially with my unit 2 project. I know this isn’t a thank you letter but thank you professor for the boost of help and confidence. My early assumptions/beliefs about myself and my writing was very low. I felt like I was about to fail because I knew I wasn’t ready for the essays after essays but my belief now is that if you have a great support system around you and the confidence in yourself you will do so much better. I am so proud of where I am now with my writing skills. I have realized that my unit 1 project was extremely under-written. I say this because I felt like I knew I wasn’t ready and I didn’t feel confident enough to keep going. Punctuation and my grammar was terrible but now I have realized that I have been taking my time and focusing on the work then rushing something. I didn’t find anything particularly difficult during this semester/course due to the fact that the work wasn’t as hard as I made it seem. I personally realized that it’s a kind of mind over matter situation like I said before I knew I felt uneasy and didn’t have the confidence in my writing for me to do the work but I have overcome that. Having a professor that understands the emotions of Covid and the feeling of being stressed is great but I also didn’t take that for granted because not everyone is like that. Now that I am moving on to my next semester of college I would tell another Freshman taking English 1101 to take your time and speak up. I would always rush my work but take your time. I would let them know that you have someone that believes in you even if you don’t. This course opened me up to reading on many different websites, opened my mind up to getting more involved with school clubs and finally made me realize that mistakes can become a great essay. This English course has also taught me to dig deeper. I say this because digging deeper into essays and making them understandable makes you more involved with the reading and easier for you to do the work. So going forward I will use all my skills I have learned so it can be easier for me in the future.

3. Brandon Munoz

Final Course Reflection
    What I learned as a reader and writer is being to speak more and even reading out loud. My writing skills was not the best ive tried my best to give everything I had in every writing piece but I just felt it wasn’t enough. I grew into becoming a better writer still not good in it but I can I say improved, better vocabulary words trying to sound a little more sophisticated and etc. My assumptions was I how i thought it was gonna be a lot of writing essays, and that been my biggest struggle but I believe anything is possible if you put your mind to it and work hard. My most challenging was to stay on top of my work and what I mean by that is to basically try to complete my work in time and not let all the work pile up, and wait till the last minute to complete them, I overcame this challenge by just being more responsible with my work get it over as soon as possible. My advice I can give is don’t be afraid to ask questions and that can be a general statement as well. If you are stuck or need help ask away don’t just sit there and act like you understand what’s going on and in reality your struggling. Teachers would be glad to help in anyway possible. What I learned in this class is how to become a better writer and becoming more vocal, even with the grammar, punctuation it can make a writing style 10x better.

4. Magdalene

A a writer and writer this year I have learned that sharing your experiences in life and presenting your story in a different way can make the readers go along with the story and be interested in it. Some early assumptions I had early was that I won’t be able to come up with stories or write one and complete it. I believe that writing down your plan and idea before writing a story really helps. My work done early in the semester wasn’t good at all compared to now its still okay but better than work done early in the semester. The most challenging thing in this course was coming up with stories cause I always got stuck on what to write about. I attempted to overcome it by just writing anything but then it didn’t feel write to me so I did not. An advice I would give to a student taking this course next semester is to make sure work is done on time or else you’ll be behind. In this class I learned that everyone always have a story to tell so we have to think deeper about our life.

5. Magdalene

I became interested in the topic police brutality it is a sad topic and it needs to be addressed. My purpose of writing this is because I want police officer to targeting African Americans and others. Many innocent live have been taken away which does not sit right with me. I wrote my piece for kids in the 3rd grade and up because they need to know the truth about what is going on around them so they would know how to deal with any situation like this. I feel that my writing piece to my audience was some what successful.

6. Armxnd

Throughout this class my love for reading has grown and I have strengthened my comprehension skills allowing me to notice when authors are using different tones or when they are trying to persuade the audience to agree or disagree with certain points and claims. Early assumptions of mine were that I was gonna have to write all day everyday like a brainless human. But as the class started developing and unfolding I realized it’s actually fun and encouraging when you’re writing about topics that you chose and have feelings towards. I would say my work early in the semester was less critical and analytical as opposed to now. Something that was sort of a challenge to me in the beginning of the semester was annotating articles and analyzing the evidence that I would use. I overcame this by studying the SOAPstone methods. My advice to students taking this course next semester would be to trust their teachers because they know what’s best for you and to use as many student center meetings as they need because it’s basically free help and it’s great help. I learned how to break down my evidence and how to give reflections on all pieces. This would help me in a majority of my english assignments as i write argumentative pieces and other pieces.

7. Keon

I’ve learned about myself that I could do anything I apply myself to do and always try to dodge any obstacles in my path of success. If I put the effort and try I can be very successful. I used to be good at writing but now I feel like I am way better than before. My college experience has had it’s ups and downs but I had to get through it. I can still be better and work on a lot of things. This class gave me more confidence and made me more better as a student. This would help with my future ela classes and even more classes at city tech