Week 4: 9/14; No Class 9/16 (Due 9/19)

Autumn Leaf Uses And Disposal: How To Get Rid Of Fallen Leaves In Autumn

In Class:

Review  HW: reading strategies, summarizing and responding, “reading like a writer” and identifying rhetorical choices; Olivarez

Homework Assignment (number your answers in the Comment below):

1. Write a 1-paragraph summary of one of Olivarez’s texts (your choice), using the Summary Powerpoint template as a model. Include a quote from the text that you feel represents an important idea. Can you make a connection between his idea and your own experience? Or a connection with the students’ comments in the LAF video? Explain.

2. Essay 1 Scaffolding Continued: Use your brainstorming material  to write a  paragraph about an educational experience you have had in life, inside or outside of a school setting. Your paragraph should set the scene for the reader: when, where, and what, before describing the experience and what you learned in the process.  This will ultimately be fleshed out to become your Unit 1 essay (see Major Assignments).

3. Scaffolding: In our next class we will work on transforming this paragraph into an  Outline for your Unit 1 Education & Identity narrative.  Start thinking about how you would like to tell your story.  Where do you want to start, and where do you want to end? What are some important ideas and memories? What are some compelling details you can provide throughout the narrative, to support your ideas? What might your paragraph order be?   You could address these questions in a paragraph here, or copy and paste the outline in your Comment  and fill in the information there.

1. Cynthia Balan

Cynthia Balan
    1. In José Olivarez “Maybe I could save myself by writing” (2018)
    It represents a boy who lost himself when moving to the south suburb of Chicago called Calumet City. José expresses that he felt lost once he left Mexico once he got to Calumet city he knew he didn’t belong. He felt this way due to the school rejecting his application due to a lack of teachers that didn’t speak Spanish to help him attend class. José felt as if he didn’t live in Mexico; nobody would understand him.
    JosĂ© went back to Mexico and felt like he didn’t belong, he felt like he was out of place and the kids also made him feel the same way he felt. He felt like reading some books by some Spanish readers such as “Denise Chávez” or “Ana Castillo” could answer all his questions but he really wanted to make sure his family wasn’t alone in those moments. JosĂ© high school had a poetry slam club. JosĂ© didn’t know what it was until a few of his classmates performed their poems and he felt amazing; he felt like writing could save him. JosĂ© started writing poetry and started expressing himself More in class which made some teachers upset but others let him grow all he wanted to do was “confront the questions I felt as a teen”. JosĂ© wanted to write poems that give a “young person in similar circumstances some confront “. He opened poetry to all Latinx people and made a series of open mics in the Chicago Pilsen neighborhood so that they had a safe place to speak how they felt so it can feel like home. “When I was a teenager, I felt like I didn’t belong anywhere. I walked around with my head to the ground I was trying to get through each day.” JosĂ© expressed how he felt and I absolutely agree with what he said. When I started high school I felt lost I felt like I didn’t know where to go I didn’t know how to feel or just make friends. Growing up I was always in catholic school from daycare to eighth grade. I didn’t know how to take the bus on my own nor do homework by myself. I wore a uniform all the time and went to daycare to get help with homework. Once I transitioned from catholic school to public high school, I felt down. I didn’t feel the same until I told myself that it would get better, and I taught myself how to do things independently.

2. On a Monday morning I was told to write my “college essay”. This essay consisted of one question and one question only “what experience did you go through during a younger age that made you the way you are and how did you get through that obstacle?” Once I got that email on that Monday morning I felt my anxiety start to rise. I was never good at writing but reading was something that came easy to me. So I knew if my essay was good, reading it aloud would be even better. My senior year didn’t feel right due to me not being in school because of Covid I didn’t feel like anything mattered, not prom, not senior pictures. I just wanted to walk across that stage. This pandemic was not easy for me transitioning was not easy but I tried to make the best of it. Every day I sat there and tried to figure out what my essay was going to be about and finally it came to mind. At the age of four years old my mother passed away from a brain tumor. I knew it would be upsetting but it would be a great story to tell. I realized my essay had to be powerful but I never knew how to put my words together so I decided to write to a couple of friends to get a group together. I knew our college essays meant a lot to each one of us so I decided that we all write a draft of essays and we can edit each other. We all created a pro and cons list on each one of the essays and we took our criticism and went back to the drawing board. I was never good at taking criticism but I knew it was something I needed to hear. I started reading more books and getting familiar with the dictionary so my essay can be stronger. Later that month I realized that I was thinking way too much about sounding “smart” and trying to live up to college expectations. I realized that if the college really wanted me they would take me how I am so I can grow better once I get there. I took my criticism for everyone and wrote something that I am still very proud of to this day. Once I started getting acceptance letters back from colleges I knew I had something to write, even after all the breakdowns and the nights where I wanted to give up I swallowed my negative thoughts on taking criticism and added my own flow to it and never been happier.

3. Outline questions: Where do you want to start?
    When I start writing my story I would like to start my story off strong with a really good introduction. I would like to express how I feel at the moment and where I am at that point in time (mentally and physically). Where do you want to end? I would like to end this story off with how I accomplished this lesson and what did I do to accomplish this lesson from Emotions, Writing skills punctuation
    And also would like to add how I accomplished what I did in a matter of time with everything going on in the world today with CovidWhat are some important ideas and memories? Some important ideas and memories are how my friends and I got together and tried to make our College essays better by giving each other critiques. Some compelling ideas I can provide will be how I overcame my lesson. I would start with my introduction which tells you how I felt, then I would write my story. I would continue to express how I felt in this situation and how I overcame or fixed the problem. I would go on to express why I felt the way I did and how overcoming my Lesson made me feel.

2. Devone

1.I can relate to one of the story’s “Maybe I Could Save Myself By Writing”. One of the quotes really stood out to me and this was “We were empty bank accounts and it was our teachers responsibility to deliver the facts. I can make a connection between this because when I was in Highschool one of my newest teachers were for economics. They made sure that I knew everything about banking and how to manage Mortgages. At the end of Highschool I basically even wanted to get my own Fix-her-up-her and to this day I still have Ideas about how it will look. This shares a strong connection because I can really relate to the story.

2.An educational Experience that I had in life has to be when I went to Arizona over the summer and went to a shopping mall. At this shopping mall I was buying a lot of souvenirs for my trip and had to calculate how to spend it all evenly. This was really thanks to my economics class in Highschool because we discussed a lot of things about taxes and money. This taught me that if I have the ability to do this here then who knows maybe I have the ability to become an accountant, a bank manager or maybe even a owner of a bank. At the end of the day it’s not that hard to understand how to manage your money. Before the summer started there was a Asian appreciation mixer event and one of my teachers was having a conversations with my mom. My mom told my teacher how much I enjoyed talking about the class and how much information I collected from it. This class was definitely hands on with me so I am surely going to miss it.

3.The thing people need to understand at the end of the day when it comes to education is how am I going to collect this information and how am I going to use it in my everyday life. Some things to remember with this is that the best way to recover and understand information and material is to look for tutoring. A step that I would take would be stepping up to my teacher or professor and asking them may I come before class starts for a better understanding of the material. This is a way of working more efficiently so you don’t struggle in upcoming assignments. But I would only take that option if you aren’t understanding any of the material.

3. Brandon Munoz

1. In JosĂ© Olivarez article “Citizen Illegal” he talks about relating what he does if its illegal or being an American citizen. “If the baby (illegal) (citizen) grows up to speak broken Spanish (illegal) and perfect English (citizen)”. This is extremely relatable knowing that i’m an hispanic/latino american. Ive grown up being taught spanish but Ive managed to be able to speak fluent english while my spanish wasnt the best even though spanish was supposed to be my first language.
    2. For me an educational experience was being taught how to never back down from anything in life, ive always had my family, friends even neighbors who even saw me growing up as a kid have always given me advice. No matter where the situation ever took place it can be in school or just can be outside. You gotta learn how to stand your ground even if it comes to people trying to intimidate you and obviously violence is never the key. But also no matter what obstacle or difficulty life throws at you cant be afraid you gotta stand up to it.
    3. I would want to start of with a quote and end it with overall view to my experience some memories was being able to make the baseball team in sophomore which deep down I felt like I had no chance to make the team but I worked and practice everyday with friends after school and honestly I was kinda nervous but I had nothing to lose it was a just an experience and step out of my comfort zone because I had a feeling I wasn’t gonna make the team but I said i’m still gonna make the try outs and so I did, didn’t give up without a try and so I made the JV team. One proud moment of mine from Hs. Compelling details I can provide is place and when.

4. Anthony Puma

1. In Jose Olivarez’s poem “Citizen Illegal” (2018), the author talks about how it feels to be a first generation Mexican-American and how it impacts their life. Throughout the poem, the author shows it’s a struggle for being an immigrant and trying to fit in, they demonstrate by trying to act more “American” but worries if he does anything wrong that is “Mexican” or illegal” like. The author tries to show the difficulty to be considered an American because of your culture and race. The quote from the poem that most represents the important idea from this is, “Mexican woman (illegal) and Mexican man (illegal) have a Mexican (illegal)-American (citizen). Is the baby more Mexican or American?” The connection I have this poem is that I can relate to this because my parents are both from a different country and I am born in the United States. I am the first generation out of my family that is born in America which makes an citizen. One of the struggles I faced is, when I was a kid, I had a struggle adapting to the english language because I only knew how to speak spanish, my parents only taught how to speak spanish due to them not knowing any english.
    2. An educational experience I went through is when the time I donated blood at a blood drive at my high school. At first where I got the idea of donating blood is at my high school auditorium in 2019 during my sophomore year, there was spokesperson from the blood drive talking about the facts about donating blood and why it helps. But during the time, I was paying attention to the spokesperson because I wasn’t really interested in it at all. The only reason I only donated blood at the blood drive because my friends encourage me to do it. During the day of me donating blood, I learn about facts about donating blood, safe blood I donated can help save people lives. The blood I donated were going towards babies that needed blood and when I heard about this, I felt happy knowing I probably will save someone life with the blood I donated or help someone stay alive. On that day, I learn that someone need blood and blood is needed everyday in the United States. Learning this information made me make want to donate blood in the future because it will beneficial to someone life that really needs it.
    3. In my story, how I want to tell my story is first talk about how I didn’t care about donating blood in the first place without knowing the facts about then throughout the story I will come to realize how beneficial it is to someone life. Where the story takes place is at the school because that’s where the blood drive took place. The important ideas and memories is the experience I had with my friends during the blood and the new information I learn from the people that took blood. In my story, I will add some facts from articles that prove the information I was told about donating blood to help support my ideas.

5. mamadou T Diallo

JosĂ© Olivarez, “Mexican American Disambiguation” , It represent a son of immigrant who name is Jose Olivarez Describe his parents come from Mexico .Oliverarez is American Mexican Who Trying to Explain in the Text Complexity of being Chicanos While Giving sense of not Knowing Where He fits .Through The Text he repetition of ethos he demonstrates How He struggles to explain Difference between Mexican and Mexican American and How The weight They Had on his life as well How he trying to identify himself and others The words “who are not to be confused with”, “my parents are”, “I am a”, ” are repeated throughout the poem as a way to show his struggle to explain how and where everybody, including himself, fits. He describe how he tries to give everybody identites as for him not being able to find one for himself. While he seems to have his identity figured out at the beginning when he says “I am a Chicano from Chicago which means I am a Mexican American with a fancy college degree and a few tattoos.” but later, towards the end of his poem he says “I call that sociology, but that’s just the Chicano in me, who should not be confused with the diversity in me or the mexicano in me who is constantly fighting with the upwardly mobile in me who is good friends with the Mexican American in me, who colleges love, but only on brochures, who the government calls NON-WHITE, HISPANIC or WHITE, HISPANIC, who my parents call mijo even when I don’t come home so much This last sentence repeats all of the information he used through out the poem, but this time towards himself, comparing with the certainty from the first sentence where he describes himself as Chicanos .
    2 an educational experience I had in life, When I went To Africa as When i was 6 years old Growing up with my cousin together Learning A lot stuff and being respectful kid when i had 13 year old I attended religious School to memorized The whole Quran and how to pray and responsible .It was really hard at the beginning being far away to your family ,the only things you had to do is to read the quran whole day do what your teacher as you to do. i never give up at the end it was really worthy .
    3 What are some important ideas and memories? advice from grandpas ”If you afraid to try not knowing the result you must be braved to face it is the best advice have ever received Because it gives a messages .It explain life that if you do not try , then you will never know your succeed or not .That is simple rule of life and i have grown to accept that fact .I always apply this advice in my life ,sometimes I am afraid to ask question in class but when i think about if i never ask i will never get an answer .This advice personally help me do something that can help me whether it Academics or my personels matters .

6. Kevin Ramlakhan

1. in JosĂ© Olivarez, “Maybe I can save myself by writing” It’s about a Mexican boy who moved to Chicago and didn’t fit in with the rest. Since he was spanish the school had rejected his application because they didnt have any staff that speaks spanish. In the text it states “This is one story: When my family moved to Calumet City, I knew I did not belong.” This quote shows that when Olivarez moved to Chicago he already knew he wouldn’t fit in because the neighborhood wasn’t spanish friendly. Another quote is My parents brought me to the local preschool facility where the preschool promptly rejected my application into the school. The preschool did not have anyone on staff who spoke Spanish well enough to help me attend classes.” This quote means that since Oliveras was spanish they treated him differently because the school didn’t have any spanish teachers.

2. One educational experience I’ve had in my life is when I learned how to do mechanical work on cars. At first I used to watch a lot of youtube videos about cars because growing up working on cars and building them, making them look nice, were all in my blood. When I used to watch those videos I used to think to myself “man all this work looks easier then it sounds” but I was completely wrong. When I was put in front of a hood to change a car part I was extremely confused. It’s more then just loosening bolts and tightening them back It’s a whole lot of extra knowledge you need to know in order to do mechanical work. But me and my dad worked on it because he knew I had a strong passion for cars. As I got older I was 16 working at my uncles mechanic shop part time for the summer doing what I’ve always wanted to do.

7. Mahin Rafi

1. In “citizen illegal”, the poet describes about what’s illegal and what isn’t as a human. One
    quote used is “If the baby (illegal)(citizen) grows up to speak broken spanish(illegal) and
    perfect English(citizen).” I can relate to that because I was born here and was able to learn
    English. Majority of my friends didn’t know english as much as though the second language I
    learn is their first language so for instance Bengali, Punjabi, Arabic and Urdu is their first and
    not mine.

2. An experience I had from work was when I was working Uber as a TLC driver. One was
    a situation I was close to arrest but thankfully it was prevented. I happened to drive to pick up
    location at JFK airport around the late afternoon when I saw someone hailing me down and I
    knew I have a black Uber car so I’m not supposed to respond or communicate with them unless
    its the passenger I am picking up. After I ignored, I wait a couple minutes until seeing a Pakistani
    Uber driver looking to hustle for money and a deal was going on. Later came a scary surprise as
    the driver puts luggage inside his trunk of a Toyota Highlander 2015 like the car I have. The
    person who hailed me down turned out to be an undercover TLC cop since he called for backup.
    More undercover TLC cops came and arrested the guy. His car was towed away too. The lesson
    of that time was to not trust everyone as though you don’t know what situation can arise next.
    If I was in that position, I can be feeling how the other driver felt.

3. I want to start off with how my dad got the TLC car, plates and working experience. It is a
    tough one because these days there are too many Uber drivers in NYC so there was a
    competition for TLC plates. My dad and I got the new TLC plates we got after a time from
    waiting 2 weeks for our car back and new TLC plates added to our car and our information too.
    At the end I ant to close it off with what you should do as a driver to keep your cool and what
    my duties are.

8. Magdalene

1. The story of ” Mexicans American Disambiguation’ is about a boy named Jose, a son of immigrant parents, who differentiates between his family from mexicanos living in, Mexico. In the poem the narrator says” my parents are Mexican who are not to be confused with Mexicans still living in MĂ©xico. those Mexicans call themselves
    Mexicanos.” This is an important idea because even though his parents are Mexicans his mother is white and her husband is Mexican. They aren’t fully like the Mexicans in Mexico even with the food they eat. Jose explained to us what whites and Mexicans living in Mexico label his family as because they aren’t the true definition of a Mexican since they don’t live in Mexico and his parents are interracial couples.

2. An education experience I had in life was when I first learned about slavery in elementary school and I believe it was when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade. We finally got to the topic about slavery and me as an immigrant from Ghana I didn’t know about any about world history so this was all new to me. I use to wonder if I was considered a slave but then my teacher explained that slaves are those taken from African to American, and in all my life until the age of 5 I was born and raised in Ghana with my family so we weren’t considered slaves. It’s not possible that my ancestors could be slaves because all my family members are born in Ghana. In this I also learned how to control my feelings.

3. I would like to tell the story by starting off with the setting of the story. I would like to end with what I’ve learned.

9. Mawa Soum

The story ”Maybe I could Save Myself ” by Jose Olivarez is about a young boy who felt like they weren’t welcomed or felt as if he doesn’t belong anywhere. When Jose and his family first moved to Calumet City, they tried to sign him up for preschool but he was rejected. The staff members who worked at the preschool weren’t able to help out Jose and his family due to them not speaking the same language, which made it much more difficult to help sign him up for school. Jose feelings plays a big role because it demonstrates how he felt as if no one would comprehend him if they didn’t speak the same native language as him. Which proves that from the jump he was skeptical about his living conditions.
    Jose comes from an immigrant Mexican family so when his parents sent him over to Mexico to stay with his grandparents, they clearly looked at it as a good idea. He thought since he was born and raised in a Mexican household, living in Mexico would help him get over his feelings. The kids were so quick to judge him when he declared that he was Mexican, they automatically shut down what he was saying without taking it into consideration that he came from the U.S, either way he is still Mexican. According to the story it states’’ The kids on my grandparents’ block pronounced my name like my parents did, but when they asked me where I was from and I tried to tell them I was Mexican, they were quick to correct me. No, no, no. You’re from the United States.’’ Basically, the way that the kids pronounced Jose name reminded him of how his parents would call him, he was willing to embrace him being Mexican but of course it went the opposite way that he thought it would go. This demonstrates why Jose felt like he wasn’t being accepted or welcomed anywhere. He went to Mexico expecting to not come to the U.S but they proved him right once again, the only option that could’ve possibly helped out with his feelings was grabbing a book that’s all about Spanish culture in general. He was desperate to read books by Latina authors and also books that had to deal with Mexican movements from one country to another and Mexicans in general.
    I totally can relate to Jose because I experienced the same thing that he did the only difference is most of the children in Africa respected me and was also shy so they wouldn’t say anything would make me feel uncomfortable. When I was 16 my mom decided to book a flight for me to go visit my family, since I never got to see or get to know any of them before. This was my first time going to West Africa Ivory Coast known as Cote D’ Ivoire, I was already skeptical about going because my parents weren’t going with me and I didn’t like the idea of the flight attendant having to escort me which was very fun for me once I kept my composure. Although I understood and actually speak my native language fluently and also enjoys eating my culture food, I wasn’t really worried about the language barrio and food. My only concern were how the people out there would treat me. Living in America and Living in Africa is very different, out there you have to be very careful with what you do and say but over here we have more freedom but also follows the rules. My family took very good care of me and even treated me with same respect they would want to be treated with, but at the same time it was also many outsiders who would judge me based on how I dress and also how I spoke the language. Where I’m from everyone either speaks Mandingo or French. So before going I thought I spoke the language perfectly fine but to them I was pronouncing specific words wrong, hearing them speak the language I automatically knew that my Mandingo wasn’t really fluent as everyone else. But I realized that people were so quick to judge me vs helping or correcting me, so the only option was for me to learn everything about my culture and my religion.

10. Victor

Victor Montes
    1. In the article ”Maybe I can save myself by writing” by Jose Olivarez is about a Mexican boy who felt like he didn’t belong and had trouble finding who he was once he left to move to the south side of Chicago in a town called calumet city . he tried to intend school but He was rejected because they didn’t have any teachers or staffs who spoke the Spanish. When my family moved to Calumet City, I knew I did not belong. How did I know? My parents brought me to the local preschool facility where the preschool promptly rejected my application into the school. The preschool did not have anyone on staff who spoke Spanish well enough to help me attend classes. this quote from the article show how he felt like he didn’t belong and he knew he didn’t fit in because he got rejected by the school and he it was hard for him to adapt to his new home.
    2. I can relate to a quote in ”I Could Save Myself by Writing” by Jose Olivarez because in the first paragraph were he says I ”walked around with my head to the ground. I was just trying to get through each day”. I can relate to this because during my High School senior year felt unmotivated and I could not concentrate during class because all the classes where in zoom meetings or in google meets and everything was remote learning I just wanted class to end. I would always get distracted and not understand the work that was assigned. I use to enjoy going to school every morning and see my friends in school and have class in person since Covid -19 was around I had to adapt to this new style of learning and it made learning harder for me. On a Tuesday morning when my teacher told us to pick a topic for our college essay, and I remember the one question was like ” Pick an experience from your own life and explain how it has influenced your development. I was never the best when it came to writing so writing an essay was a lot of thinking for me but already have thought of a topic. When I was around the age of three my parents split up, remember this like it was yesterday. this topic was very sensitive for me to write about so ask my friends if there where doing the same and they said there so I told myself if they can do it I can do it too.
    3. when I start writing about my story I wanna start with something creative that will catch the reader attention and then explain how I felt emotionally when writing about this topic and also talk about what i remember about the topic.

11. Sheldon kemp

1.) “Mexican American Disambiguation” Summary : With this poem the author JosĂ© Olivarez wanted to open up more about him and his background and clear the air for those who don’t know him. He discussed where he and his parents are from and mentioned what they are properly addressed as, His parents being “Mexicanos” and him being a “Chicano”. The text states, ” i am a Chicano from Chicago which means i am a Mexican-American with a fancy college degree & a few tattoos.my parents are Mexican who are not to be confused with Mexicans”. The author covers the hardships/point of view of his family after crossing the border to live here in America. I can somewhat relate to this story because people often get confused with my nationality as well.

2.) Back in my seventh grade school year when I was only 12 I learned a valuable lesson that stuck with me till this day . one day in my school the teacher warned us that there would be a test in 2 days from now and told us to study . This was a math test so I was really nervous and thought I would fail .After two days of studying I finally sat down to take the test . I was extremely nervous while taking the test and I wasn’t sure about the answers I put down . When the results came back it showed that I had a 78 and passed .I was so surprised and this made me start to feel like I was smarter than I thought I was . I began to focus more in class and I was understanding the work really well . When the next test came I got an even better score and was way more confident taking this one . When I went home that day after the second test, I noticed that the teacher had marked my test wrong and I should have gotten a lower score than I did . I showed the teacher the next day and she was very grateful , she changed my grade and even gave me a few extra points for my honesty. I realized that when I felt confident in what I was doing I turned out more successful in what I was doing . I learned that true success is not defined by how good you are , but how you stay confident through your failures and use them to better yourself .

3.) I want to start off by showing how much my lack of confidence negatively affected my performance .I could explain the moments where I lacked confidence and then explain how I gained the confidence I did and how it affected me as well . After I could explain the lesson I learned more in depth.

12. Denys0409

1. In José Olivarez’s writing, “Mexican-American Disambiguation,” he is talking about how he struggled as a Mexican American. It was difficult for him to try to find his identity when there are so many different ways that society calls him. For instance, he used many words to describe himself and his family. The words used were Mexican, Chicano, mestizo, Mexicanos, and gringo. He also speaks on how he believes society views him and the Mexican community, as well as explaining how the Mexican community views the outside world. In addition, he expresses his struggle in being only loved on college brochures but having to identify as Non-White, Hispanic, or White, Hispanic. I can make a connection with José Olivarez about language, not race. When I first came to the country I did not know English well and felt like an outsider, a similar way to how he is feeling.

2. An educational experience I had was learning how to let go of all the stress in my life, and how to take care of myself. These past two years during the pandemic I didn’t need to go to school, and had much more time to focus on my well being. Having online classes gave me much more free time, and removed a lot of stress in my life, compared to going to school in person. With this free time I was able to workout daily in my basement.This helped me to take care of my health and cleared my mind of everything that was happening at the time. In addition, I started working a lot after my classes in the pharmacy by my house. I gained a lot of work experience and I learned many skills as well as learning to talk to people professionally. Due to this I started making my own money, and learned how to manage my time and earnings. Overall, because of the pandemic I had much more time to educate and work on myself.

3. I would want to start with how stressed I was pre-pandemic and end with how much I have learned and progressed since. Some important memories I have are how hard it was for me to start to learn how to take care of myself and how difficult it was to learn all the skills in my job. I will start with an introduction. My three body paragraphs will be about learning to take care of my health, starting my job, and learning how to manage my time and money. I will finish with a conclusion to summarize everything.

13. David

José Olivarez- “Citizen Illegal”.

Take a look at a Mexican woman and a Mexican man. If they have a child who appears white enough to pass, does the child become American or remain Mexican? Is the infant more Mexican or American if he grows up singing Selena songs to his mirror image? Is it considered abnormal for a man to only date women of color? People often hold the mindset that “America is the nation of ambitions and ideals” or “Everyone has to be different.” In some circumstances, such a statement may be factual. However, it is up to the individual to identify and adapt his or her attitude and conviction. Despite the fact that time has passed and humans have drastically developed, individuals continue to worry about these things, which tend to limit their inner potential. This article highlights the various ethical moral viewpoints that exist in our present environment. Learning new ideas from diverse sources does not make you different; conversely, it makes you stronger than those who barely unlocked their potential for exceeding unprecedented heights.