Elsadig Abdelaziz        

Week 2 

One thing I found useful about the First-Year Companion is that how it literally combats all the problems new people into college face. And I know personally because I have gone through this. For example, before in high school I never took notes, so I really didn’t know how too coming into college. But now in a section called the three stages of taking notes, it literally tells you how and it explains all the whole way. So honestly that’s what I found useful about the First-Year Companion. 

Week 2, part 2 

In my opinion I felt that the main idea in Prof.Hellman article is that in class learning is way more sacred because of how you get to see all these different ethnicities come together from all across the world to sit in this small area, and how each and every one of them have different personalities and different perspectives. In my opinion I feel like online school can never accomplish that because of how 90% of the time the camera is turned off, and if not it’s the mic that is muted. 

Week 3 

In Toni Morrison, “The Reader as Artist”(2006), The Author was great in giving multiple ideas and tips to becoming an excellent reader.  She explained that just reading as a skill is enough, but the act of imagining the story is magnificent. Which ultimately meant you should be able to broadcast what you’re reading. She also described that you also should be able to listen but be alert. Meaning you should always dig for information and try to find what’s there. She uses this method to explain in paragraph one what Mr. Head was doing. Finally, you should always reread because reading can always be refined or clarified. In “How to Read Like a Writer” 3 important ideas from the article are, 1 if you want to read like a writer you need to see what writing technique the author uses and which technique you will use. 2, the most important thing to reading as a writer is seeing how you can improve your own writing. 3. see how the author captures a readers attention and how he/she able to allow the reader to better understand the text. 

Week 4 

I was not able to read “The Cage Bird prevails”, since it was too blurry, so I’m sorry I couldn’t state some similarities. But a quote that stood out to me from the first text is “We were empty bank accounts, and it was our teachers’ responsibility to deposit facts.” because me reading this quote. automatically made me think that its true because to be honest I always thought that the school system was just a waste of time. Or to put it in better terms it really didn’t prepare us for the life. And the way I look at this quote is: you go to the bank and you are trying to deposit money that you don’t need at the moment or you don’t have any use for, same thing with school you are being thought this thing that have no meaning in life and that you are probably never going to use ever again. Like teach us how to file taxes, teach us how health care works, teach us how to change the oil in our cars, etc. I just feel like we weren’t prepared at all for the real world. 

Week 5 

Finished already