Midwood, Brooklyn, NY

get-attachment (2) get-attachment (3) get-attachment (4) get-attachment (5) get-attachment (6)     get-attachment (11)  get-attachment (13) get-attachment (14)

The midwood/kings highway area of Brooklyn is quite a populated environment. I live in the midwood neighborhood, near Ave P, and near a busy street Kings Highway. Due to the busy activity on kings highway and many places to take out/buy coffee, people tend to litter since the garbage cans are overflowing with waste (as seen in pictures).get-attachment (8)get-attachment (12)

Garbage cans are the only environmental waste source in my area, and they don’t even exist on every block, which may be a cause for the problem. Being that Brooklyn is a mini-city, the population is high and garbage piles up. Luckily in my neighborhood, the busy, main streets get cleaned up every night. But unfortunately a big problem is my street. I have many large families living on my block, and garbage piles up quickly. Maybe if garbage would be cleaned up more than twice a week on my block, people wont have to leave garbage on the floor. This is a main cause for rodents in the area. There are signs of squirrels and rats in the neighborhoods occasionally, especially found in garbage bins and garbage laying on the floor. Even raccoons have been seen to flee the streets. Maybe more environmental waste sources, such as garbage bins and recycling bins on each block (for paper, cans, plastic). Compares to the environment with the first article, living in NYC brings a fear that rats may migrate to other boroughs and take over garbage areas. If the city would make more of an effort with taking care of garbage, maybe people would too… And maybe spending millions on citi-biking can come after spending millions on waste sources and recycling…