BHS & Only The Dead Know Brooklyn

Out of the photographs and other forms of illustrations at BHS, I was the most impressed by the maps of the train system. Ā I never fathomedĀ how long the New York City Subway System has been in service and that its service map is so similar to the one today. Ā With the exception of a few added lines and new stations, the map is very similar to the one the MTA provides today. Ā Considering the advancements in inĀ engineeringĀ technology in the last 40 years, its impressive to know the tracks have been around since the 20s. Ā I also took note of the pictures of Coney Island and other landmarks. Ā Just like the subway maps, majority of theĀ environmentĀ has been preserved and remains to be used by theĀ publicĀ (like the boardwalk and beach at Coney Island). Ā I think it adds a special kind of sentimental value that would not be preserved has the city been altered in its developmental structure.

in Only The Dead Know Brooklyn, “Big Guy” asked the narrator if he knew how to go to Brooklyn (in a thick Brooklynese accent). Ā Big Guy had the idea of discovering Brooklyn by traveling around “jus to see the place”, including wandering around the bars in Red Hook, which to most would not be a good idea. Ā I discovered Brooklyn in a similar way; going to new places with friends, wandering around unknown areas in search of something that we could eventually come back to. Ā If you can afford the train fare, you can see all of Brooklyn.