Today’s Quiz – a Second Chance

I  haven’t graded your quizzes yet, but I did flip through them to get a sense of how people were trying to answer the question. Many of you tried different methods, which can probably be made to work, but arrived at the wrong conclusion. A lot of your work also looks like it will be hard for me to follow as I search for partial credit. So…I’d like to make you an offer.

If you would like to rewrite your solution for today’s quiz question at home and hand it in at the beginning of class on Tuesday, I’ll grade that one instead of what you wrote today. (If you missed the quiz today, you can still hand in a quiz on Tuesday.) There is one serious condition however: there will be no partial credit awarded for the quizzes handed in on Tuesday; the only possible grades are 0/5 and 5/5, so if you decide to hand something in, everything needs to be perfect, explicit, and clear. (For example, even if you just miss the style point, then your grade will be 0/5.)

If you are handing in a paper on Tuesday, label it clearly with “Quiz #7 – Round 2” and your name at the top. No late papers will be accepted. The question is copied below.

Don’t forget: there is no class next Thursday, so no quiz next week; the following Tuesday you’ll have your third in-class test.

Quiz #7 – Round 2:

Determine whether the series converges absolutely, converges conditionally, or diverges:

\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^n \frac{n^2 -n -1}{2n^2 + n +1}

This entry was posted in Quizzes. Bookmark the permalink.