Dropbox: A Designer’s Best Friend

To expand on what Professor Brown mentioned in class about backing up your files, I would like to say that Dropbox has been anĀ absoluteĀ lifesaverĀ and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who asks.

As both a designer and a student, I have found myself in tight situations that have been resolved with Dropbox. Here are some things that I have found that would be of intrest to you guys:

• It’s like a virtual USB! As long as you have internet access, you’re good to go.
  • At work, my coworkers and I all use Dropbox to keep our files in sync. If I add a new file to the box, everyone in the room can access it just seconds after I upload it.
  • Dropbox comes with handy software for both Mac and PC that syncs your entire box onto your machine, and whatever changes you make (online or on your computer) will be synced to both places. When you’re using your computer, you would never need to use the main site!
  • They have a nifty feature called “events” that allows you to see a recent history of the files in your box. It comes in handy when you’re accessing shared folders, because it tells you exactly what others have done (aka, “MichaelĀ has deleted example.png“)
  • Shared folders – another great feature! You can create folders that you can make public or share with select people, and they can view or add to the files in the box. I personally have found it to be very useful to share files with clients, and friends.
  • There is a Dropbox app avalible for iPhone (I think android too), which is also great. If you save original design files (.indd, .psd, .ai), they won’t be visible, but if you save .pngs and .jpgs, they will be visible on your phone. So, if you’ve got a design you want to show off, all you have to do is pull out your phone! It’s like carrying your portfolio wherever you go!

That’s all I’ve got for now! If you haven’t signed up yet, you can do so via myĀ referralĀ link. Once you’ve made your account, you can post your link in the comments for others to use! (Signing up via a referral will give that person some extra space, 500mb per referral)

This entry was posted in Tools and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dropbox: A Designer’s Best Friend

1. Thanks Nicole for sharing. I just learned a few new things about Dropbox. I have the Android app for my phone. It has makes it easy for me to carry my photography portfolio with me.

2. Erick Solano says:

Thanks Nicole for sharing the website. Most importantly, give us your personal experience of how Dropbox helped you at work, and the benefits that we can get backing up files. I already signed up and now I’m experimenting because it is new for me.