5 thoughts on “Aniqa, Byron & Joyia’s Podcast and Related Documents

1. aniqa_4001

Professors,

I am not sure why my group member decided it was ok to edit my annotated sources, considering it was my sources that I used and the relevance of those sources to the research that enabled me to write my part of the podcast. However, here is an unedited version of my two sources:

Belle, J., & Leighton, M. R. (2000). Grand Central: Gateway to a Million Lives. New York: Norton.

Grand Central: Gateway to a Million Lives is a book based upon facts about the history of the construction of Grand Central, the economic and social factors that caused the decline of use of Grand Central, and the restoration of Grand Central. Belle and Leighton discuss a summarized version of the history of GCT in the beginning of the book to give a sense of context, and the proceeding chapters delve into specifications of architectural facts and figures as well as cost of both construction and restoration. The book is set in chronological order, and begins with before the actual construction of the terminal and talks through the development and need of electric trains rather than steam locomotives. From there Belle and Leighton discuss the changes of GCT throughout the different times. This book is heavily laden with images of GCT, and is a prominent secondary source for historical based and architectural based research.
    This book correlates directly to the beginning and conceptualization of GCT. The overview of GCT is brief, yet significantly touches upon GCT’s major historical dates throughout its time. The overview is also a great first glance into a general summary of GCT for those who are not well informed with the subject and want to quickly attain a general understanding of it. The book directly exemplified how to condense the extensive history of GCT into a compact summary. This book also talks about the usage of GCT as a public space and how social and economical changes of New York changed the use of GCT’s public space, which was most informative since it directly relates to the research topic.

Vaccaro, S. J., Domenico, J. D., Weinstein, G., & Fisher, A. (2014). Grand by Design: A Centennial
    Celebration of Grand Central Terminal. Retrieved June 27, 2016, from http://www.gcthistory.com

Grand by Design: A Centennial Celebration of Grand Central Terminal is an online historical page created by the New York Transit Museum that takes the entire history of GCT and time frames it into a timeline, which is easy to access and visualize. The webpage is particularly faceted towards creating a standard way of looking at GCT, and is directly linked from the Grand Central webpage.The design of the website is user friendly and usability is intended for all age audiences. The content is both relevant and informative to GCT; it’s past and present use. The images presented are also highly poignant to the history of GCT and present GCT. This website is an excellent secondary source with resources from primary sources such as authors, enthusiasts, and experts of Grand Central Terminal.
    The website is an overview of GCT in each time period from its conception to present day to future plans. It was most resourceful for summarization of GCT history since the website itself delivered a contextualized and compacted history for each period in time. One would gravitate towards this website for a first glance at GCT and because it is linked from the GCT webpage, this webpage is a reliable source.

1. JWILLIAMS Post author

Hey Aniqa. I edited your annotated bibliography only because it needed to be revised and condensed, especially since most of the content was repetitive and it was a rushed, last minute assignment. I don’t know what grade you earned in English 101 & 102, but this assignment is where those basic skills would have came in handy. Its GROUP work that is going towards a GROUP grade; your grade affect everyone else so why be like that?

2. JWILLIAMS Post author

Additionally, if you look a little closer, you did not cite the book (format-wise) correctly. I just wanted the project to be as polished as it possibly could. I mean, you were absent on Tuesday (a very vital day) so you really have no position to be complaining and should be a little grateful. Especially since you have graduated, your writing skills should be better than that and you can’t ever expect a first draft or a rush job to be good enough for final submission to ANYBODY. If you submitted this as a portfolio piece, you would never get a decent job, just based off grammar and syntax errors, alone. No shade involved, but its the truth.

3. aniqa_4001

@Jwilliams- the aforementioned post was intended for the professors. You did not even ONCE ask me if you could edit my work, nor did you ask me to edit or revise my own work, considering we had time for revisions; you went ahead and believed that your “expertise” was superior to everyone else’s and therefore allowed you the right to go ahead and tamper with another’s work. This is just as bad (if not worse) than plagiarism. I do not think that you need to bring my past work into this conversation, considering I have had exposure to a variety of journalistic level work- and I do not need nor want your “judgment” on my work. Considering this was a group project- I hope you realize that you demonstrated the exact opposite of what a group project is meant to be. If you had issues with my work, you could have turned yourself around from your seat and TOLD me. However, you chose not to- because again you believed yourself to be superior. I would suggest- considering your major is hospitality- that you learn the critical skills of group work. If you were as concerned as you say, with the grades- you could have gone ahead and color coded the assignment so the professors were able to see who did what work. However, believing that you had the right to take my annotations and replace them with your own rendition is NOT- nor ever will be- a “group” effort.
    Yes, I have graduated, and in the years that I have studied as an undergraduate, I have yet to have a group member quite like you. I don’t wish to involve any “shade,” and like I said at the beginning of the post, the original reply was meant for the professors to see what I truly did.
    I hope you have a productive summer, and wish you the best in your futures endeavors.

1. JWILLIAMS Post author

That’s fine and dandy but the fact still remains that “your work” wasn’t good at all. What you fail to comprehend is that I would never want to claim “your work” as mine but my grade is attached to this thing and I’m not getting a reduced grade for your inability to write a paragraph in proper English. And that’s so great I stand out to you. You never met a group member like me because I’m a go-getter and I don’t let anything stand in my way of doing my best. I’m not here for your feelings. But the course is over so get over it … you missed too many classes anyway to even say anything. I edited what needed to be edited and that’s that. And, lastly, good luck to you at the chocolate shop and whatever else you decide to embark in.