I was in communication major for three years I decided to get into graphic design after I finish first two years. I want to talk a little about myself in the past. Before I came into the major, I was an ESL student who unable to choose major but still learning the language. I was struggling in one year to pass the reading and writing test. I had a really clear idea what am I going to do, therefore, the first and the only major I want to get in is communication design.

I am not like other people who waste time in the liberal art to think what major should they get into. According to “Piper Short Film”, I think the meaning of the video really reflects myself because my personality is to be overcome the difficulties. I am clear that I always have the passion for art. When I go to an advisor, he talked to me about different design majors I could choose the one I want after two years. For that moment, I knew I make a right choice.

After I finish two years course, I was having an idea about what I like and what should I choose for finish the bachelor degree. My web teacher let us fill out a question which you like the web or not. My answer is I like it but it is difficult. Even though I would like to overcome hard things, but I think it is too late to start. The web course is set up in the fourth-semester schedule. In those two years, I already built up my skills into Indesign, Photoshop, and illustrator. I was only learning Dreamweaver in one semester. I am a realistic person, so I wouldn’t choose web design but graphic design. I believe I could stick to graphic design to learn more and become professional.

In these three years, I did many projects by taking design class. I did packaging, book cover design, branding with logo, wayfinding, and magazine layout. Those are important to a graphic designer. When my first job after graduated, I don’t think I could work ad agency because it is competitive. I will look for an in-house design job in particular company so that I could learn more while working. I think an in-house job is an advantage to the student who just graduated. They can earn experience in a lower pressure environment. Otherwise, Freelance is my second choice, even though it couldn’t make stable paying. I would like to work freelance for one or two years, then I earn experience from different companies.