Wine Retail Store Analysis Wine Retail Store Analysis

Wright & Goebel, Wine and Spirits, By Brenda Lopez

For this assignment I chose to visit a liquor store in the Brooklyn area. I liquor I went to was called Wright & Goebel, Wine and Spirits. It is located on 147 Flatbush Ave Extension. The store around a 10-minute walk from City Tech. The facility was rather small compared to an average Wine/ Liquor store. Although it was a smaller store I thought the layout was set up very classy with a fancy décor they were organized and customer friendly. As you can tell in figure 4 all of the spirits are on the wall, organized from clear and dark. I was disappointed in the lack staff. There was only a man at the register. He greeted me and I asked him if I might take a look around because I was working on an assignment for mywine class. The man was friendlyand didn’t help me any further.

As for the layout there was 3 lanes. They stocked everything based on the style of wine such as red, white, sparkling, etc and the region. As you walk in through door I noticed the first that was there was California wines and I have an example, the region of the wine is Santa Cruz Mountains, California and the wine is a Cabernet Sauvignon, vintage 2010. On the bottle there was also percentages of each grape varieties. I was surprised in how much this wines alcohol percentage was 13.5%. (Picture below). As I looked around some more I tired to find wine that we have learned about in class. In the far right there was wines for France and New York in middle lane there was some Italian wines. I was moreinterested in the Italian wines being that at the time I went we have not yet learned about them. There are also German wines in the middle as well. I was a bit anxious when I was looking at the German wines because the names of the wines, I couldn’t even attempt to pronounce them. I became more familiar on some wines and grape varieties because what we learned in class. I was proud of myself because I easily read the labels of the wines and understood pretty well the name the grape variety and vintage etc, I also looked at the back for the AOC’s or the DOC’s.

Walking through the facility I noticed the prices. The store had a very wide variety of pricing throughout in the lanes; I thought some were pretty affordable. In the front were the Champagne’s accompanied be the most expensive. I asked the man who worked there which was your cheapest wine, the man replied $5, which was in the carton, I then asked, and your most expensive? He replied $430. I was shocked. The name of the wine is a Henri Giraud, the name is Argoone is a Champagne the region is France; it is an Ay GrandCru Brut, 2002. There were bottles from $12 to $50 dollar range some of the spirits were a little more but I was shocked but the Henri Giraud price. The facility does offer some discounts but customers do have to sign up for them online. (Picture below). I recommend them to get more staff because it doesn’t look professional just having one staff member working and they should also get some working on the floor to help customers.

Overall my experience at Wright & Goebel was interesting to say the least but I was impressed in the organization the store and it being customer friendly. I like that they haddifferent types of wines for each region. I environment was nice and welcoming. It was great that they had affordable wine for people with low budgets. I would return to Wright & Goebel and recommend it to.IMG_3656

the most expensive wine

the most expensive wine

IMG_3668IMG_3657IMG_3669IMG_3660IMG_3674IMG_3656 IMG_3657

3 thoughts on “Wine Retail Store Analysis Wine Retail Store Analysis

1. Brenda, I too had the same experience of a sense of pride though in a different store when the letters, words and numbers in the label told me all about the vinification, viticulture, history and the best way to enjoy every bottle of wine I placed in my hands. But it also opened my eyes to how little I know so far in the world of wine.

2. I like that you asked about the price range, it is important to not only know the range but also what is price point is the most widely purchased, Here in NY the average price is in the $12-$20 range.

If you would, please return to your post and edit it as I did not see the photos that were referred to in the analysis. Thank you.