Retail Wine Shop- Prospect Wine Shop

When I cam across this wine shop, I was really interested in walking in and seeing what their concept was about because of how they showcased their primary window.

20140409_172327

It is decorated in an April Easter theme with not one wine in the window. With little bunnies, a goose, and some yellow and white tulips. Just the fact that they didn’t try to showcase their best wine show that they aren’t taking compensation from companies to showcase their wine on their window. It makes me feel like this wine shop is putting more of themselves into their image. The lac of excessive bottles on the outside, gives you an image into the warm yellow lighting of the inside. There was also a board on the outside that had a quote on it…

20140409_173059

It made me feel like the owner or manager of this specific wine shop is a very spiritual person and views wine as something more than just making money of off it. Going into this wine shop I expected a very relaxed and calm feel to the inside.

When I walked into the wine shop, it wasn’t a huge space but it had an extensive collection of different wines. I wanted to start looking around on my own before actually speaking with one of the sales associates. The area was set up by the region that the wines were from. In the front of the store to the left, in a easily accessible areas, close to the check out counter, were the American whites and reds, to Italians Wines. Then it proceeded to the French Wine section. They have a section for Bordeaux, Loire Reds and Loire Whites, and Burgundy. I noticed that some of the wines were laid out on their backs and others were simply standing up. I asked the sales associate if there is a specific reason as to why they do this with certain wines and not others and she said that they pick certain wines with certain qualities to lay at an angle and now necessarily all the way down because not only does it keep the cork damp, but it also keeps some of the air bubbles at the top of the bottle of wine instead of at the middle which says allows a slower maturation and oxidation.

20140409_172617

Right after the section of the French wine, on the other side was the champagne section. and their extensive collection of organic wines. This specific winery is know for their organic wines.

20140409_172519

I asked the sales associate what specifically made organic wine organic and she said that when the grapes are being grown, the viticulture practices have to be in accordance with what labels food organic, meaning that there isn’t any use of pesticides, chemical fertilizers etc. She stated that the Vinification practices have to be ALSO be organic, which means that there is little to no manipulation to the flavor and taste of the wine (no oak chips). She said that not many of the wines that are organic will say it on the label, so their customer really trust their words and knowledge when picking our the right wine. This organic wine is very popular to the people surrounding the neighborhood. This made sense to me since this wine shop is located in park slope.

The staff was really friendly and I could tell that the sale associate knows their information. She states that she gets the enthusiasm from the manager. She is very passionate about wines and is a very insightful person. She believe that people aren’t really taught to differentiate taste and smell and that when most people come into a wine shop they feel extremely intimidated. She takes joy in welcoming people into the world of wine.

The winery does wine tasting certain days and times.

9dd99866c121b8f279d83b438a12478ac3c49118704d07ac96715309194db64e

They do this in their outdoor patio garden. It is nothing that is exquisite, but I believe that the patio goes perfect with the wine shop and how it presents itself.

I am really glad I was able to visit this wine shop. When I was strolling around the shop, I felt really good because I was able to recognize Grape Varieties and Appellations. If I had walked into this wine shop anytime before taking my wine class I would not have been able to have an intellectual conversation or ask the right questions to the sales associate. She didn’t really know the answer to ALL of my questions, but she was able to provide me information that I did not know. I would definitely be coming back to the shop when the manager is actually in.

One thought on “Retail Wine Shop- Prospect Wine Shop

1. The points you made about the reason you chose this store are outstanding, sophisticated. The learning you did about organic wines is valuable, I appreciate that you shared that part of your experience.