Channing Daughters Winery

My friends and I decided to go to the Channing Daughters Winery. It is located at 1927 Scuttlehole Road, which is in the South Hamptons. The drive to the winery took approximately 2 and a half hours. Channing Daughters Winery has a spectacular story about an upside down tree. I will not ruin the story for people who may want to go, but I must say this story shaped there winery and brought them their main logo.

The Channing Daughters Winery has 28 acres of vines, a small winery, and a tasting room. This winery consist of 15 grape varieties. Some of these grape varieties are Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Tocai Friulano, Malvasia, Muscat Ottonel, Ribolla Gialla, Blaufrankisch, Refosco and Lagrein. This winery produces dry white wines, pinks, oranges, and reds. They do everything by hand in small batches. They also stomp their grapes by foot and punch them down by hand. This provides a good tasting quality wine.

During our wine tasting we tasted 2013 Tocai Friulano, 2014 Scutterhole Chardonnay, 2014 Sauvignon, 2012 Brick Kiln Chardonnay, 2013 Vino Bianco, Over & Over- variation 8, and VerVino Vermouth variation-5. Two wines that grabbed my attention the 2013 Tocai Fruilano and the VerVino Vermouth variation-5. 2013 Tocai Friulano is a delicious white wine that is harvested by hand. This wine was fermented in 60 percent stainless steel barrels and 40 percent French and Slovenian oak for 12 months. I liked this particular wine because it had a great aroma and taste of green apples, grapefruit, pears, and a little bit of spice. I also liked it because it had a medium body, great acidity, and very crisp. This wine would pair nicely with a light citrus salad or nicely grilled salmon with risotto. On the other hand, VerVino Vermouth is a fortified wine. There are six different variations of this wine. These wines are mixed with local botanicals. This is very full bodied. It taste almost velvety and thick like a gravy. This is because it includes botanicals such as basil, dill, lemon balm, lemon verbena and more; which makes this wine a great selection to cook with.

Channing Daughters Wine personnel was excellent! Although he was the only person giving wine tastings, he did an amazing job. He was in charge of preparing wine tastings, providing information and details to the customers, and showing a good time. His service was what I initially expected and it was a pleasure having him as a host. Even though they had certain wines for us to taste, we had the chance to taste more because he acknowledged the fact we were college students. Overall, I really enjoyed this trip because I was surrounded by great friends and the day was well spent. Going to this winery taught me a lot and made me want to enhance my knowledge as a wine professional.

Upside down tree logo

Upside down tree logo

Wine Tasting area

Wine Tasting area

Wine tasting list

Wine tasting list

3 thoughts on “Channing Daughters Winery