Analyzing Graphs – Amanda Valdes

The two graphs I chose from the power point are “Table Wine Volume Share By Color” and “Storage”.

“Table Wine Volume Share By Color” shows what I would call a “popularity contest” proven by U.S supermarkets. In 1991, red wine was not as popular and was not consumed as much as white wine was. Over the years red wine has become more popular and consumed while white wine only decreased by 9%. Blush held 34% out of 100% in 1991 and looking at 2009 it shows that it had decreased to less than half.

“Storage” is one of the many interesting slides I’ve come across in this power point. It is interesting to know that wine was and probably still can be kept in caves. To maintain and keep your wine fresh you have to specifically lay it a certain way. It also has to be at a consistent temperature, have no sunlight, and at 75% humidity. One question that came to mind after analyzing these facts was, “Where do they store wine nowadays at 75% humidity?” I’m sure the wine seller won’t be wearing a jacket.

3 thoughts on “Analyzing Graphs – Amanda Valdes

1. Hi Amanda,
    I think that red wine was less popular because of the tannin from red wine. It caused the bitterness and dryness that some people did not find it pleasant. Also, I guess that the health benefit from red wine created a greater population nowadays. What’s your opinion about the increasing population of red wine drinkers?
    -Alicia

• I believe that’s true. One of the reasons, well probably the only reason I don’t drink red wine is because of the bitterness. The health benefit from red wine didn’t come to mind when I wrote this, but that is definitely true! I know a lot of people that drink red wine because of the health benefit. I believe that the red wine is consumed more in these years is because it does decrease your chances of heart disease.

2. “Wow, I really like your post. The way you have beautifully and concisely extrapolated on your points and line of argument is impressive. At least I got to understand the dynamics revolving around wine lovers. However, you could have tried to explain a little more on how the future in wine purchase habits will look like. Good piece though.”