OpenLab Pioneers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• File size limit for powerpoint uploads

Prof. Paul King
    Participant

My students completed their first assignment using PowerPoint and were asked to upload this to their sites. They were immediately hit by the 10 MB upload limit. As Architecture students every presentation includes graphics and this limitation is much too low. These are small files by our standards -only a few slides but they can easily be up to 50 MB.

I was trying to get this done so I could show the results for tomorrows OpenLab Presentation to the campus community.

Thanks

Paul

Scott
    Participant

Let’s try to get that boosted for you, Paul, though I’m not super-admin enough to do it myself…

I’m assuming that third-party solutions won’t work for you, because of the public element (they’ll also have size limits as well to deal with)? And also (just thinking outloud), you should be able to pass large files between the students and yourself via dropbox for the presentation tomorrow, if it comes to that.

Best,
    Scott

Prof. Paul King
    Participant

Hi Scott

The purpose is for students to be able to show their work. They are kept both on my own site and the 5 team sites I have setup.

What I really want is a “CityTech” Slideshare account – so students can upload their PowerPoint presentations, that they can display as a slideshow on the website and that they can remain private. At present if you use the “free” slideshare anything you upload if free for anyone to view.

Thanks

Paul

Scott
    Participant

Seems like a great idea . As you might guess, I’m all for the students publishing everything publicly, but that’s between you and them, of course, and it’s always good to have multiple options. Let’s look into it.

It does look like your sites are public at the moment, no? That is, if we up the file attachment limit without making them private, the work the students post will be publicly available in the same way they would be if they were on a ‘free’ slideshare acct. Perhaps I’m mistaken, or you were planning to make those posts private, just thought I’d be sure you know.

The sites look great by the way–wonderful things happening there.

Best,
    Scott

Maura A. Smale
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know that your students are bumping up against the 10mb file size limit. The file upload limit can’t be changed tonight, but we’ll get to it as soon as we can. We can look into a Slideshare account as well.

Best,
    Maura

Prof. Paul King
    Participant

Open to other suggestions or products including Slideshare . I have used Slideshare and it works very well.

Jenna Spevack
    Participant

Hi Paul,

I’ve just joined the OpenLab as a Co-PI. Thanks for your patience while we review this request.

As someone who deals with hi-res image files, I completely understand your struggle here. Those of us in creative fields are always looking for ways to efficiently collect and critique student work online.

However, most online spaces consider it good practice to limit attachments to a size that the average member/user can download and view quickly– ideally using the web browser. We’d like to try to follow those best practices here on the OpenLab, which is why the maximum upload file size is set to 10MB.

Adding a “How to Optimize Your Files” demo into any course is a good way to teach some best practices for online communication and collaboration. This would make a nice workshop topic, but until then here are some things to consider when working with PP files:
    http://www.graphicsoptimization.com/diy/filetypes/ppt.htm

I’d suggest asking students to post optimized and/or web accessible formats (jpg, gif, png, flash, etc.) on the class website for critique and discussion. I’ve found a well-optimized image slideshow works well and is the simplest option for online student crits. Students can then submit final hi-res files via the department server dropbox or FTP, if necessary.

Since PPT is not a web-ready format, using Slideshare is a good choice, but the paid service is probably something the College would need to consider. Wondershare PPT2Flash is another option. It converts PowerPoint presentations to Flash movies.

Let’s continue to brainstorm here. It would be great to develop multiple workflow options for student work submissions.

Thanks!
    Jenna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.