Math 1272 – Statistics – Fall2013 – Ganguli

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• HW #6 / Exam #2 next week

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Here is the next HW assignment:

Webwork: Two sets, “Sec_5.1-5.2” and “Sec_5.3”

Textbook:
    Sec 5.1: #19-35 odd
    Sec 5.2: 7, 9, 13, 23
    Sec 5.3: 17-25 odd, 31, 33

Also a reminder that I will handout the takehome Exam #2 on Monday (Nov 25), to be handed in a week later (Mon Dec 2). The exam will cover topics from Ch 3, 4 & 5.

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

I’ve extended the due date on the Webwork sets above, so that you can still work through those problems.

Of course you should focus on the exam that I handed out on Monday, but it may help to try to work through the similar HW exercises to see if you’re getting the right answer.

As I said in class, if you’re getting stuck on certain question on the exam, look in the textbook for similar exercises and examples and try to understand those. You can send me questions about HW exercises, examples in the book, or examples we went over in class.

If you weren’t in class Monday, please email me so that I can send you the takehome exam.

mneedham43

Sir Im having a hard time figuring out the p(s) for 2b. is it that the children have a 5 years chance of living?

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Yes, but you have to calculate P(x=9) and P(x=10), where x is the binomial random variable defined as the number of children that survive 5 years. As the question states, use the binomial probability formula (and as I said in class on Monday, the first thing to do with questions involving a binomial experiment is figure out the values of the key parameters, n and p)

mneedham43

So will “P” be 1/2 because the kids will either live or die?

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

No, not quite. It’s not the case that each child has an equal chance of surviving 5 yrs past their diagnosis vs not surviving. Reread the given info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.