2013 Fall – MAT 2070 Proofs and Logic – Reitz

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• What's the easiest way to explain to a twelve year old the difference between rational and irrationa

Alphatron
    Participant

Topic. I have to help my brother with his homework.

Jonas Reitz
    Participant

I find these kinds of questions a real challenge! I’d be very interested to hear if anyone from class has any suggestions?

Ms. Desir
    Participant

I think first you will have to make sure that he has a clear understanding of integers and what numbers are integers, with that clear you can explain that a rational number is an integer that can be expressed or written in the form of a fraction both the numerator and the denominator are integers. The rule you have to keep in mind is to make sure you explain the b cant never be zero because you cant divide by zero . so you cant have a zero in the denominator .and an irrational number is a number that you can express or write as a fraction using integers . a great example would be pi .. hope this help a bit

Alphatron
    Participant

A late reply. But thank you! Your response really helped a lot. The hard part was explaining why Pi couldn’t be written as a fraction since he was used to using 22/7 as an approximation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.