Building My Life

Aaron Chen                                                                                                                                       11/6/15

Skyscrapers and building designs have always been one of my interest and something I always wanted to do when I grow up. Being someone who could do these things was my dream profession. My name is Aaron Chen and I’m currently attending New York City College of Technology and I’m majoring in of course, Architectural Technology. For many, architecture might seem intimidating because of the workload and competition and therefore avoid majoring in it, but as for I, my love for architecture outweighs the workload and competition I’m going to face. In my essay, I’ll be guiding you through my roadmap in becoming an architect, my thoughts, and my reasons on becoming an architect. This major fits me best because I have a an interest for design and building, the amount of money an architect makes and I have had two years of education before attending college regarding architecture.

New York City College of Technology is unique in the fact that, their architecture program is the only one of its kind in all of CUNY colleges. While I’m attending City Tech, i would like to receive the associates degree which can be obtained in two years and i would also like to receive the bachelors degree which takes a little longer to obtain, four years. Receiving these two degrees will be a good foundation to my portfolio and hopefully land me the job of my dreams. I say this because with these degrees, I would have knowledge on construction documents, computer application, design and programmatic planning, architectural history and environment system. Learning and knowing this can land me a great job because I already have a set of skills that i can use and provide for whatever firm I’m working for. With this knowledge, i can contribute to the company and design and build the way I always wanted to ever since i was a little kid. City Tech also offers 21st century technology and machines for us to use such as Laser Cutters, 3D Printers, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, AutoCAD, Rhino and many more. City Tech will prepare us for all the technology and programs that firms will be using to complete the jobs. Although City Tech provides students with all of this, the students must be diligent and be willing to work on their own time. Not everything comes to the student, the student must go out of his or her way to study, make models, build and work to achieve the desired grades. To obtain these degrees, students must not fail any classes which means I must get higher than a D in every class and have all my credits. If a student doesn’t achieve a grade higher than a D, then the student must retake the class and redeem themselves. If I can keep my grades above a D, then I’ll be able to receive my degrees and further my education and work in the architectural field.

Being an architect has always been a dream of mine because I always wanted to build and design. I want to build and design not only because it seems fun but because I want to build and design something that will impact the world and leave a name for myself. As a little kid, as I walked around the concrete jungle exploring this amazing city, i was inspired by the amazing facades and unique buildings there were. Seeing all these amazing designs that we are surrounded by inspired me to become an architect and inspire like how I was inspired. I want to be able to create an amazing piece of work that will inspire the future generation of architects to strive for the best and to strive for my goals as well. Like most people, I don’t want to die without achieving anything in life, which is why i want to build something amazing and inspirational so that when I do pass away, my name and art is left behind to continue my legacy. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved architecture and that is why i attended Brooklyn Technical high School. Brooklyn Tech provided two years of architecture classes that i took and loved. We were provided with many resources and amazing teachers. We were taught many programs and we were engraved with a foundation of knowledge for architecture. With this knowledge, i want to strive for better and more knowledge and incorporate what i’ve learned to the real world.Another reason why I want to become an architect is because of the money that comes with being one. According to my online research, an architect makes an average of $79,650 a year which would be around $30 an hour. Not only am I getting paid a good amount for my job, I’m enjoying my job as well. Not all architects make this amount of money. Students who just graduated don’t make this much money because as an architect, we have much more to learn and we can provide a lot to our employers with just a few years of education. You’ll never learn everything about architecture because everyday, something new about architecture comes up. In, order to make a good amount of money as an architect, one must own their own firm, be renowned or provide great quality work. This being said, this is what intrigues me. I like the fact that I’ll be motivated to work more and produce greater quality work because I’ll be rewarded for my hard work. I want a job that can challenge me endlessly and reward me when im doing well, which is why architecture is the perfect career for me.

In conclusion, architecture is the best fitting profession for me because I have great passion for it, I’ve had previous education in this field and the money I can be making for doing the job I love. I want to create and inspire the future generations and challenge myself through the competition in the world and architecture provides me with all of this. By achieving my City Tech degrees, I’ll be able to continue my path down as as an architect and continue doing what I love. City Tech, just like Brooklyn Tech will provide with a great foundation of knowledge so i can tackle the real world and become a world renowned architect.

Works Cited:

New York City College of Technology College catalog 2015-2016 (City Tech) New York: NewYork City Technology, 2015.PDF