Children of Men Opening

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=stXZYjPUyEw

I choose to pick 2006’s Children of Men directed by Alfonson Cuaron because I feel it does exactly what an opening scene should do, give me a lite piece of the film, capture me and want me to keep watching. And I just love when they shoot the opening scene and the titles for the film pops up!
Children of Men takes place in the year 2027 in a world where nobody can have children, the movie starts with everyone tuning into the news as they find out Diego Ricard, the youngest person on the planet at 18 was killed the previous night. Diego, being a celebrity because of his age has the world in shock, and that’s where I will leave it, just so I don’t spoil the movie! The cinematography and color palette gives the film a sense of eerie-future that is believable! Doesn’t that opening just want to make you watch the whole thing?! I highly recommend this movie if you haven’t seen it, do yourself favor and please watch it!

3 thoughts on “Children of Men Opening”

1. That was a great opening. Now I HAVE to watch the movie because I want to know why an 18 year old was the youngest person on the planet. That opening was exciting and got me thinking, and very interested.

2. Even though I love Saving Private Ryan and the Rush Hours, I feel like Children of Men definitely has the best opening scene. I would say it is a hard opening with the explosion at the the end of the scene. It builds a lot suspense and it makes the audience want to watch more of the movie to see how the plot unfolds. The slow pace and flow of the scene really works, because the explosion right after thrusts you into the actual pace of the movie. The opening also introduces the main character and the setting. It is set in a world where humans are infertile, so pointing out the youngest person in the world was critical in opening the movie. This opening definitely sets the tone, like all openings should.

3. After reading the title and the synopsis given for this particular movie I assumed that it would be really boring. Then a couple of seconds through the opening scene I was sure I had predicted right until the explosion. The explosion is the key point in this opening scene. It’s completely unexpected which causes you to think that maybe you should finish what you thought would be a boring movie. I actually enjoyed this opening scene because it grabs your attention. I wouldn’t mind watching the rest of the movie.