Homework #2

In Weems’ “From Here I Saw What Happened and I Cried.” collection, I feel that the appropriation of Zealy’s photographs are transformed into a deep meaning and feeling collection. Her use of the color red really make me focus on each photograph more carefully. The darks are darker and the lights contrast more. It might also evoke the emotion of anger or rage that she felt whilst making this collection. The text added to the pictures tells a flowing narrative through the collection and could also be used as a stand alone statement with the picture.  The text can be read along with viewing the photograph, but after reading the text I tend to analyze the picture more, and let the words sink in. It is like the picture accentuate the words and the words emphasizes the picture.  Without the text I don’t believe the collection would be as powerful a statement about slavery and racism. Weems turned what was a collection of pictures taken for a hateful purpose of lessening African Americans and turned it into a powerful piece about discrimination and bigotry.