Can Self Portraits or “Selfies” be considered art?

According to an article on The Atlantic written by Megan Garber selfies have been around as long as the first forms of portraitures. Selfies became widely popular and was treated as a form of art just like the rest of photography. What made this so popular was that any one with a camera and a conveniently placed mirror could do it. This is even more common today thanks to modern technology in which almost every piece of common equipment has a built in camera. I can see the controversy that some may not view photography or in this case selfies a form of considerable art. I have to disagree because like Megan Garber mentioned in her article selfies are like a kind of performance. You stand there in the mirror and you put on a face or pose that reflects whatever personality you’re trying to give the viewer. To me performance is art just like watching a play or someone dancing. Selfies are just as much as art as Shakespeare’s works, or a painting. Another reason I believe selfies is an art is because Selfies gives the photograph a more personal touch. The photographer or who ever is taking the photo will more than likely take it in places where they wouldn’t ask someone else to do it for them like in the bathroom, bedroom or Kitchen. Selfies are just as good as Portraits when it comes to being a form of art but with the added benefit of being more accessible.

This entry was posted in Responses. Bookmark the permalink.