OpenLab #4: Reflecting on the Class

Every college class is planned with certain goals in mind – to convey ideas, to encourage certain kinds of thinking, to provide opportunities for learning, for exploration, for practice.  A typical plan consists of a mix of different activities, both in and out of class, and hopefully each activity contributes to achieving the goals of the class.  In this assignment, I am going to ask you to think about some of the different things you have done for this class and reflect on their effectiveness.

Some of the activities that make up this class are listed below.  This list is not comprehensive (it may be missing things!), and includes both in-class and out-of-class activities.

Partial list of activities:

• lectures
  • webwork assignments
  • openlab assignments
  • exams
  • answering questions at the board (often at the start of class)
  • doing examples on the board (often during the course of a lecture)
  • working on problems individually during class
  • group work during class
  • asking/answering questions by email
  • office hours
  • working on your own outside of class (doing homework, review problems, studying, etc)
  • working with one or more fellow students outside of class (doing homework, review problems, studying, etc.)

Assignment (Due Tuesday, July 2nd).  Respond to at least two of the following questions (1 or 2 sentences each).  Feel free to discuss activities that are not listed above, if you wish.

1. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?
  2. What activities have been most useful to you in making connections between the class material and other areas of your life? Why?
  3. What activities have been most useful in building community in our class (creating a comfortable atmosphere, getting to know your fellow students, building trust)? Why?
  4. Are there any activities that you wish you had spent more time on (this includes activities that are not on the list, but you think should be included)? Explain.

52 thoughts on “OpenLab #4: Reflecting on the Class

1. 1. The most useful for me to prepare for my exam was getting a review sheet because it has all the information I need to review for the exam in one paper.
    2. The lecture help me connect the material to my life because it gives real live example to counter the question. It help me relate some material to my life because i could use this information when im buying something.
    3. The most useful was working on a problem in a group and also discussing a question in class. It help me interact with people and help each other out.
    4. The activities that I wish to spent more time is doing problem in a group because they could help with a problem i have and also it could help us challenge the question when we think together to solve the problem.

• I also agree I would be lost without that Review Sheet . Better yet said a review sheet that focuses on exactly what will be on the exam. Many of time your brain is crammed with so many lessons that never appear on a quiz, exam etc. Group is also great you get to learn from each other and that is priceless.

Good Luck on your final

• It is good to work in a group, but i find that if you are in a group that is above your level they tend to rush and get the answers then passes if off to you, and one can never learn like that. So one has to find a group that is willing to work together in solving the problem and sharing the time to help the weaker link.

• You are right. Some forget that it is called group work , they try to do every thing fast forgetting they have those who don’t know how to solve them or slow in learning. because of this the aim of the group work is forfeited.

• The review sheet is alsways number one for me,and i agree with you that it has most of the information about tests and problems that we need to study,and it gives us a great hint about problems.

2. The best preparation for the exam have been a combination of the review sheet, tutoring and office hours. Without that trio the class would be impossible to pass unless of course if you are a math wiz. The reason I believe this works is because the more you see something and practice it you become familiar and your brain absorbs it. Seriously, statistics show that…
    I wont bore you with the numbers
    I also enjoyed being in the company with students from my class it was comforting and I love the dedication and commitment that came from that.

I also enjoyed the ice breaker from Day 1 and the variety of group work. Its almost like you know the exact balance when we should brainstorm alone and in group. Reality is that you may not feel like a group work everyday and you leave it up to us which takes away the pressure. Lastly, the energy and the shameless enthusiasm you project makes it so easy to ask a question you break it down without sounding condescending.
    That in itself has to a skill.

• I strongly agree that the review sheet along with tutoring helps in every way when preparing for an exam. I spent most of my time even on days off getting tutoring, without the extra help i would be lost studying by myself.

• I agree the review sheet was very effective for preparation for the exams. The ice breaker was fun. At the end of it, people started feeling comfortable in the class. I agree Professor Reitz made the class so much fun, that it was easy to ask questions. The class developed a sense of group cohesion.

• I agree with the review sheet and clarifying questions during office hours. Everyone is entitled to use everything they can in order to pass the class. Just like everyone else, I am very thankful for Professor Reitz endless energy during class. He has been very patient and helpful 😉

• I strongly agree with you. When you practice more, you become more familiar with the topic. I strongly believe that those trio are very helpful because not everybody are a math wiz. The most important thing that with all the energy and the enthusiasm, makes everything easier.

• I strongly agree about tutoring center,without them i would be lost also and it would be harder to study on my own.

• Working in group is a best idea. It made people understand and practice more because this is your peers but some do not understand.They work to be the first one to get the answer without communicating with others and at the end they make mistakes. That is way some times you see others not doing any thing because they are not on the same page making them confused. In doing group work everybody suppose to be on the same page at the same time.

3. 1.) T he activities that were most helpful to me in preparing for exams were the web work assignments, group work during class and also being able to email the professor for additional questioning. I felt like these tools help reinforce the material i learned, especially the webwork assignments.
    2.) I would say asking questions help me out with the class material and other areas in my life cause I am a firm believer that when you ask questions you learn more.
    3.)The activity that helped build a community and also established trust in our class was definitely the group work.

• Web work assigments were harder than work that we did in class,and i found it useful also,because it was easier to solve problems on test,since when we were practising labwork problems ,they were much harder.

4. 1. The activities that have been most useful for preparing for exams are the review sheets. The review sheets were very effective because the exams were based on those same questions on the review sheets, but just some minor changes. The web work assignments helped me to practice the materials that I’ve learned the previous day in class. I used those questions on the web work to study for the exams. The office hours were also helpful because I was able to get clarifications on the questions I was having difficulty understanding. Attending the tutoring sessions were very helpful too.
    2. The lectures were very meaningful because I was able to learn how the different organizations go about getting the statistics of different materials. It is important to know the different steps they do in order to get the statistics. The sample and population gave me a better understanding on how they would go about getting the statistics. Moving forward whenever I hear about the statistic of something I will be aware of the different steps they had to do in order to get the statistic.
    3. The activities that been most useful in building a community in the class are group assignments, openlab assignments, and answering questions on the board. These activities were all helpful in building group cohesion in the class. Asking the questions before class got everyone to participate. It was beneficial because it helped those who did not understand the problems to get a better understanding on how to solve the problems. The teaching method for this course was very effective. I enjoyed the class and learned a lot.

• I also enjoyed the class and learned a lot. I agree with the review sheet. A Review sheet is a very useful tool to pass a test. It is a type of summary that contains everything we learned.

5. 1. The activities that have been most useful to me in preparing for exams are the combination of the review sheets, asking/answering emails by mail and of course clarifying during office hours. Since this is a summer session, everything is crammed in and once you do not pay attention, you can imagine how you can get lost easily. It is always helpful to use all the tools given to you and take advantage of it. I certainly believe that these worked for me because I get to practice over and over again, and once I do not get the same answer I can just email him right away.

2. The activities have been most useful to me in making connections between the class material and other areas of my life are the lectures and working on the problems on my own. I was able to learn different strategies in solving statistics. Being able to comprehend how each step works makes every problem easy to solve. This class makes connections to areas of my life because the problems are real life examples. You can always relate and I found it very useful 😉

• I totally agree with you that statistics is apart of our everyday lives. Because it relates to real life aspects of things that are involved or things that may affect our lives.

6. I agree that the review sheet is helpful, and group work can be helpful if you find patient people that are willing to help the weak. The activities that have been most useful to me, making a connection between the class material and other areas of my life were the web work assignments, learning to work on the problems individually, and the opportunity to work with some classmates that were willing to help me out. My sincere gratitude for that. 🙂
    The activities that have been most useful to me preparing for exams were the review sheets, and all of the people that helped and tutored me. My biggest problem is anxiety. I have to be more relaxed when taking exams. Happy 4th of July!

7. I was super scared to take Statistic at the beginning, but I was confident that I was going to learn with professor Reitz. The activities that have been the most useful for me in preparing me to pass this class are the mix of review sheet, webwork, and doing examples on the board. Having all the mix of activities, I was able to practice more problems, which I like. Not only that, but having the opportunity to work in group with different classmate was also a good tactic. I am glad to have such opportunity because it make me so comfortable to ask any question to anybody. I realized that working in group is a good way of learning to work with other in different areas of life. Overall, I enjoy this class every single day. I believe that all the different variety of work keep my interest. Definitely, professor Reitz have good strategies to manage the class .

• this is my second sats class because i failed the first one unfortunately.
      but this professor really did a great job in teaching. nothing to be afraid of. he’s the class a breeze and i agree with the group work, that was a very good way for us to learn and interact with others

• I agree with you, at the beginning I was scared to take STAT in the summer, but Prof. Reitz does know how to manage how you learn your material and ensures you understand. He allows you to ask questions before class and lets you work on some of the problems on your own. I have managed to understand the material with a good understanding.

8. 6. The most useful activity have been helpful to me while preparing for exams, is having a review sheet and getting excellent tutoring. Reasons are the review sheets give guidance in getting me reacquainted with the formulas that may be on the test. The help from tutors reinforce information I might have missed during some of the class lectures. These problems don’t tell you when to add, subtract, divide or multiply so I have to study the formulas in detail that when I read the problem I apply the right one in solving it.
    7. The activities that have been most useful to me in making connections between the class material and other areas of my life are random sampling. Why; because I was often annoyed at the pooling, and surveys when the ratings are publish on certain political policy, such as the Obama Healthcare. The pooling for Obamacare would show that a majority of people are against than for it. I could not imagine why the greater percentage would be against this bill which is allowing 3 million people to have affordable healthcare. So by learning that sampling is a subset and is a representative of the population which are to draw a conclusion about a population.
    8. Thirdly, the activity that have been most useful in building community in our class is creating a comfortable atmosphere, getting to know your fellow students, and building instant trust. Why? Whenever I entered a class room for the first time I feel a little discomfort because most of the time I am the older or in between and some of the younger students don’t want to deal with me. But from the moment we introduce ourselves in classroom the barriers came down and the students interacts well with me. I asked for help and I got assistance from them, as well as they from me. This is really a good class and the Professor made it fun while learning Math.

9. The activities that were useful for me were, working on your own outside of class (doing homework, review problems, studying, etc.) and working with one or more fellow students outside of class (doing homework, review problems, studying, etc.). I was practicing every day after and before class. Also very useful tool was tutoring center. Without them I wouldn’t be able to do a lot of problems by myself. I saw other students from our class, and we were all trying to do home works and review sheets. Review sheet was very helpful for me also, because it gave me an ideas how exam was build and what kind of question I could expect at the exam. All these useful tools helped me to get through the statistics.

10. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?

what has been most useful for me to prepare for classes is the review sheets and webworks hw. After doing the webwork assignment, can always go back to review them and see what steps i have taken to get to the answer and also help others find the answer. and the review sheet is a plus, puts my mind in active mode and prepares my brain for the exams. very helpful.

What activities have been most useful in building community in our class (creating a comfortable atmosphere, getting to know your fellow students, building trust)? Why?

the activities that help the most in building a community in class was what professor Reitz did in the beginning of the semester which was to pair up and talk about ourselves. and all the group activities also helped with being comfortable with who we were working with and sitting next to. the idea of assigning groups was good too, for us to communicate with other students next to us. this class was a pleasure

11. 1. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?
    The exam review and the webworks are the most effective material used to prepare a student for an exam. They provide you with extra help in areas that you might not be confident or comfortable with.
    The webwork for me has been very useful, it allows extra practice and it provides unlimited tries until you achieve the correct answer. It allows you to familiarize yourself with the different formulas that you will deal with throughout the course.
    Honestly when in the past when I was given the opportunity to work in groups or work as an individual 90% of the time I work by myself. This course is different because since the first day a comfortable environment was created. When given class handouts there is sometimes a letter or a number on the top and that decided the group you will be in. It is completely random and allows you to work with your classmates that you haven’t had the opportunity to interact with. From what I have noticed it is good because everyone helps each other and allows us to work together.

12. Everything given in this class was helpful to me and many other classmates. The review sheet before an exam was my life savor. The web work was a way to maintain me practicing even though I would get frustrated when I couldn’t solve the problems. Being able to go over web work problems as a class made a huge difference because I myself don’t like to ask questions and I “thank the classmate who asks the question I was thinking about”. Having time to work as group during class made the work more interesting because you get to learn from one another. Every detail in this class was very helpful but what makes a difference is a good professor. A professor who takes interest in the students learning and tries to help them in every way. A professor capable of explaining/answering questions/emails and attaining the students attention. Everything given in this course was helpful to me and helped me pass all my exams, I though I wasn’t going to make it through but I made it through thanks to professor Reitz.

• Yes, the review sheet was really a great thing for me. It has a very good reflection of our exam. Web-work gave me a little bit of hard time because i know the answer is right or its the decimal but its not taking my answer, made me stressed out but it was good practice even though your answer is wrong.

13. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?

It’s my belief that about 90% of success in math involves repetition. Learn to do the problem one way, then continuously solve that same type of problem over and over again using that exact method. Because of this I feel that the webwork assignments as well as the review sheets were absolutely essential and definitely played a major role in my success with the past three exams.

The “ice breaker” on day 1 served it’s purpose. I immediately felt that everyone was less anxious because of the exercise. That, along with group work, helped us all to be able to communicate with one another without feeling “left out.” I also feel that Prof. Reitz played a role in this. His outgoing and welcoming approach definitely made everyone feel at ease and comfortable enough to participate and share with the entire class.

• I agree with you that the review sheets and webwork assignments were very helpful in preparing for the exams. I also found that the recommended practice problems from the department were also helpful. I think that having these problems available to practice helped me succeed in this class because they allowed me to familiarize myself with what i learned in class. I also agree that group work united everyone together and helped everyone become friends. This was also helpful because it allowed us to learn from each other.

14. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams?
    The review sheets were a life saver for me! I was taking a speech class in addition to this class this summer and the review sheets really helped me to alocate my time between the two subjects. What wasn’t very useful for me was the Webwork, more like the mechanics of it really frustrated me. I felt like I wasted way too much time in the we’d work assignments when my answers were off by a decimal.

What activities have been most useful to you in making connections between the class material and other areas of your life?
    The lectures were most useful for me in making connections between the class material, also the handouts. I find that your up beat teaching style of breaking down the information in a fun, easy to understand way made this brutal summer course a bit easier for me. I prefer to work on my own or with a friend.

What activities have been most useful in building community in our class (creating a comfortable atmosphere, getting to know your fellow students, building trust)?
    Im not a huge fan of group work because, it consists of people who may be on a entirely different level than someone else on the given material. Communication is also a key role in this activity and though it may promote better understanding amoung your peers, I feel like group work should be done with groups of people on the same learning level.

Are there any activities that you wish you had spent more time on (this includes activities that are not on the list, but you think should be included)? Explain.
    I wish I had spent more time on going to tutoring, but because I was taking a speech class along with statistics, I rarely had any time for myself much less to go to tutoring. I wish. Did I thought because it is a free service offered to students to hel them better understand the course material.

15. While taking Statistics, there were many activities which help me succeed through the exams. Majority of my time was spent studying outside of the class. Practicing and retaining the formulas and different steps became essential. Other activities including, lectures, group work, and reviewing web work were important as the class would go into detail and use different strategies to solve these problems.

I feel learning each person in the class created a comfortable learning environment, everyone became a team instead of different outsiders who would be scared to ask questions. Doing these little activities meant a lot, and formulated a successful classroom from beginning to end.

• Again you cannot have a successful class without a great professor who takes the time to explain each and every problem. Thank you Professor for everything.

16. 1. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?
    Getting a review sheet have been the most useful tools for me in preparing for exams because it is like a type of summary with all information I need. Each problem in the review sheet is like an example of the ones I’m going to see on the test. By studying the review by sheet, I can realize what my weak points are and type of problems that ought to be spending more time.
    Openlab assignments help me a lot in making connections between the class materials and other areas in my life. Open lab help me to think about finding connections between statistics and my career. I had never thought about it before.
    3. What activities have been most useful in building community in our class (creating a comfortable atmosphere, getting to know your fellow students, building trust?
    Group work during class is the most effective one. Without it, I never would have met my classmates. My classmates helped me with my doubts. In addition, I also helped the when they did not understand some problems. It really works.
    4. Are there any activities that you wish you had spent more time on (this includes activities that are not on the list, but you think should be included)? Explain
    I wish I had spent time working with one or more fellow students outside class and going to tutorial, but it was impossible for me because of my busy schedule.

• I completely agree with you; the review sheets were extremely helpful because they helped me realize my strengths and weaknesses. They allowed me to notice what topics i understood and which topics i needed to spend extra time studying. I also agree that group work was one of the most effective activities while taking this class. It allowed students to help each other out and learn from each other. I think that this also made the class more enjoyable because through group work everyone got to know each other better.

17. The activities I found most useful were the lectures, answering questions before, during and after class, the professor doing the examples on the board, doing a lot of practice questions, and getting help from the tutors.

The activities I wished I’d spent more time on was going to office hours, but I was under the impression that 1/2 hour wasn’t enough time, so I just went to get help from the tutor. I wish I had communicated more with the professor via email. Overall, I think I used most of the resources available to me.

• I agree with you on spending time with the prof during the office hour and communicating with the professor via email. I wish i went to the office hours but i had to leave to work immediately after school. This made it impossible for me.

18. There are several activities that has been most useful to me in preparing for me exams. This ranges from the class lectures, answering question at the board at the start of the class, doing examples on the board, working on problems individually during class. The professor made the lecture very simple by providing the handout every lecture with several example . He gives us time during lectures to solve this question after explaining them, this made us to practice more in class instead of just listening. He paid attention to every one during lectures answering question and working around to see what every one is doing. All this made all of us to look like family. He made the student have trust and confident in him that they can freely ask question any time.. At the beginning of every class he creates time to answer questions on the board which made us to practice more and not to be frustrated when we are finding any question difficulty. He does not make you feel ashamed when you ask question because of the way he answers the question on the board..
    The group work and ,answering question have been most useful to me me in building community in our class. creating a comfortable atmosphere,getting to know my follow students and building trust. Although in one group i was in everybody was working differently which even made one of not to contribute but just watch because we were on different page at the same time but it actually helped us to socialize and know each other. By doing this it made me feel more relaxed in class. The way the prof answers question and communicate with us is another one that made me feel at home thus building trust and comfortable atmosphere for learning.

19. The thing that works for me is to do the review sheet. That is my priority and the fact that the professor gives it one week before the exam gives me enough time to get help and to practice the questions as much as I can. I love taking the exam on Tuesdays. I practice the questions for the whole week plus the weekends and when Tuesday comes I do the exam like boom, boom, boom. I think everything that the professor does in the class is excellent and reinforced the learning process. The lectures, webwork, Group work, examples on the board etc…, I cannot think of something that has not worked for me really! Once I tackle the review sheet, everything else is a piece of cake because the review sheet to me is always harder than anything else.

2- I believe the group work really makes us close and friendly to each other instead of strangers. I may not know everyone in the class, but when I see a face, I definitely recognize that the person is in the class. Furthermore, the fact that we solve questions together , we help each other by explaining things that might be difficult to one of us. Therefore, doing all those activities really make us comfortable with each other.

• I strongly I agree with you review sheet is the key point to prepare for the exam, because it is provided one week on advance and we still have a extra day prior to the exam to go over it in class. Also, I agree with you that group work allow us to meet each other in class and create a friendly atmosphere, making a familiar environment where we could help each other.

20. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?

The activities that have been most useful to me for preparing for exams were the webwork assignments, review sheets and the in class work sheets. The review sheets were very helpful because they gave me a good idea of what to expect on the test and what material the test would contain. It also gave me an idea of the types of problems I can expect. The in class work sheets were helpful because they reminded me how to do a certain type of problem if I forgot how to do them. They provided extra practice problems which were helpful. The webwork assignments were also very helpful because they allowed me practice what I learned in class and they helped the material that I learned stick with me. They were also very good practice problems to go over before the test.

The activities that were most useful in building a community in the class were group work, talking about ourselves to another classmate on the first day of class and going over problems in class. Working in groups helped everyone to meet people and become friends. Everyone started to feel more comfortable around each other and this allowed for everyone to help each other with a difficulty they were having in the class. Group work helped get rid of the awkwardness between people and united the class. Talking about ourselves to another classmate helped build a community because it got rid of the awkwardness between people and helped form friendships between them. Getting another classmates phone number allowed students to help each other with practice problems outside of class. Going over problems in class helped create a comfortable atmosphere because everyone would contribute something aloud while doing a problem allowing everyone to better know each other.

What activities have been most useful to you in making connections between the class material and other areas of your life? Why?
    The openlab assignments were most useful in making connections between the class material and other areas of my life. They made me think about math in ways I never thought before and how it affects my life. They also made me think about the different ways I may use statistics in my future career. It made me reflect on my past experiences with math and how it has changed. I think that the openlab assignments were important because they helped me see a connection between my life and math.

21. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?

22. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?
    The activities that have been mos useful to me in preparing for exams are webwork and review sheet allow me to practice all problems on advance to the exam and go over in class. Also, I could ask questions to the professor before the exam.

What activities have been most useful in building community in our class?
    The activities that have been most useful in building community in our class I think is the group work during class, specially the first day of class, because as a group we break the ice and don’t feel stranger and we could help each other.

• I agree that the webwork and the review is a great help. Asking questions help me to reinforce the material. I love working together as well during class because it helps us to get to know one another

23. 1.The activities that were most helpful to me in preparing for exams were the web work assignments and in class assignments, even though sometimes you are working on the webwork problems and putting the wrong amount of decimals, it states your answer is wrong. Allowing to ask questions before class starts on the webwork, also helped me to prepare for my exams. It made me understand some process, I felt lost. In- class assignments helped us learned the real basic idea we needed to learn, instead of wasting 2 weeks in one section, doing unnecessary work.

2. Another helpful tool was working on your own, but at the same time asking your peers to help you, if you feel lost. We would work together sometimes to see if we got the same answers. These allowed us to see where our mistakes were, even if we thought the answers were right.

I felt like these tools help me reinforce the material we learned, especially the webwork assignments and the in class assignments.

24. The most useful activities to me preparing for exams was review before the day of exam. It has a great effect on our test. I usually get lost when it comes to use of formulas and rules but the review makes it helpful and clear.

Statistic has a very good connection to our real life situation. We can learn many things applying it in our life, like probability, mean, median, mode, range can give us a lot of information about anything that we are seeking of. suppose i want to buy a new car, i should know its mileage before the purchase. I could check on its mileage whatever is given by the company and see its true or not just by applying our method of statistics. Its a very useful subject that we can use in our daily life.

The group-work method is very useful to communicate and learn. that’s how we can make sure that we are on right track and check our work with others. And also it makes a friendly environment inside the classroom.

Statistics is very hard if you don’t understand the material and it becomes complicated overtime so we loose interest. I messed up my Web-work many times and lost my interest. i wish we had spent more time on this thing.

25. The most useful method of learning was for me to work on my own outside of class. This way, I could work at my own pace. The only downside is not having someone to guide me through each problem if I had issues.

I’d have to say that the lectures made it easy for us to relate math to real world scenarios.

Working in groups helped us build friendships, however, I felt that it slowed the class down considerably. The groupwork forced us to communicate with one another.

Lastly, I wish I had spent more time studying. I slowly decreased my study time throughout the semester, and it has reflected in my test grades. The concepts that are introduced in the latter portion of the semester are more difficult to grasp — once I had a method down and thought I understood it, another question would pop up and challenge me again. It made me frustrated, and sometimes, I stopped doing problems altogether. This was not a smart move, and I would definitely study more, had I realized that this would be an issue.

26. The most useful activities in this course was actually getting the review sheet to study and understand the topics learned during each week and doing work with my colleague’s as well which gave me more confidence in knowing what to do for each problem given in class.
    Studying is a very huge part of preparing myself in this course statistics. I really enjoyed the lectures as well which was very energizing and created a perfect atmosphere for me to continue focusing on the importance of the class.

27. Q1. What activities have been most useful to you in preparing for exams? Why?
    – Some activities that have been most useful to me in preparing for exams are the review sheets, answering examples on the board and webwork. All of these are good practice for the exam. The best way to master something is to keep doing it. Practice makes perfect after all.

Q4. Are there any activities that you wish you had spent more time on? Explain?
    I wish I spent more time on working on my own outside of class like doing homework. I think if I done this I would have had more practice and not struggled so much with the math during exams.