Keyla Arana – My Introduction to Infinity

Pi is perhaps the greatest example of infinity, simply because it is a number that goes on forever and ever. There is no end to it. This is why I chose to represent it in a photo.
Infinity means being infinite; infinite means being limitless or endless.
When I was much younger, about 5 or 6, the greatest number I knew was a billion. Then one day, in that same year, my sister, who was about 11 at the time told me about the “number” infinity. She explained to me that it was the greatest of all numbers. It is quite obvious to me now that she was wrong, but for about a year, I believed all that she had told me about infinity. I thought that it was a number that you can actually get by adding or multiplying.
It was when one of my teachers told me about infinity that I actually understood it’s real meaning. I was surprised and confused at the same time. It took me a while to realize that the number line never ended, simply because you can always add one to any large number and get an even larger number, like a billion and one.
Even though I know of infinity’s true definition, I still use it as if it were just a large number (only when describing something), for example, when I tell someone I love them, sometimes I say “I love you times infinity plus one”.

5 Responses to Keyla Arana – My Introduction to Infinity

1. bettygeorge says:

Great picture! I heard about infinity at the same age you did and I was also confused. It is great that you figured it out and you use it in your everyday life.

2. takther2009 says:

I agree, some time the best way of describing how much you love a person is just by say, “I love you times infinity plus one.”

3. mendozak says:

I like that you chose a repeating decimal as a model of infinity. Usually when people thing of infinity, it’s something vastly or endlessly large, while pi itself isn’t a large quantity- it’s smaller than 4.

Interesting.

4. takther2009 says:

I agree, some time the best way of describing how much you love a person is just by say, “I love you times infinity plus one.” I really think Pie a great example of infinity. I remember in my elementary my teacher first introduced me to the number pie as great example of infinity.